Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
352 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last cuts of the day I thought I had it finished and somehow it didn't fit. I was chased out of the building by the super so I couldn't investigate. I don't usually do this myself but my guy was out for the week.

Anyhow it was going well until the last 2 cuts. Finish it tomorrow. Not sure what I did wrong.

I feel like a newb and wanted to share.

Attachments

·
Registered
14,018 Posts
The piece on the right needed to jump the corner. The reveal is going to become bigger on the corner cabinet in order to get the correct look.

·
Registered
352 Posts
I use an iPhone so cut me some slack if I'm off here.

It looks like that crown is symmetrical on the face yet the spring angle is not 45° but maybe 38/52. Is this correct?

My guess is you cut it nested but had the last piece in the wrong direction.
In other words, instead of the fence being the "wall" and the table being the "ceiling" on your last miter (or two), you put those pieces in the other way.

If so, the bevels would not sit flat (again, assuming you cut nested with a crown stop). Do you know what a crown stop is? Please tell us your technique.

If you do cut nested with a crown stop, just place your pieces back on the saw and make sure they are oriented correctly and you will see where the error lies.

Hope this helps.

Bob

·
Registered
6,819 Posts
I'd rip it all out and reinstall with some 1x flat stock, because it looks horrible when the bottom of the crown isn't flush with the face of the doors. If you're getting paid for this job, then they should get their money's worth...

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Since the horizontal & vertical faces of the crown look parallel to the cab faces, I'd say the turret angle on the saw wasn't at 45'. In other words, the spring angle of what's installed looks right, but the miter cut at the 90' corner just wasn't steep enough. Maybe you cut it at 40' instead of 45? It apears to be short by about 1/2" at the long point of the cuts.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
The piece on the right needed to jump the corner. The reveal is going to become bigger on the corner cabinet in order to get the correct look.
I'd like to see how a door fits into this picture...:rolleyes:

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
You cut the 45' flat at the wrong spring angle. Try cutting it nested as far as you can, & then lay over in the flat position with the angles seated to the nested cut.
I'm assuming you can't cut the 45 all the way through when nested?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts