Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

What could cause this roof to buckle like this?

6K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  AustinDB 
#1 ·
Friend of mine emailed this photo over and asked if I could come take a look tomorrow.

Said he paid a concrete contractor to pour a new driveway/ carport. He lifted the roof to do his thing and when he let it back down and anchored it- this resulted.

Roof Property House Home Brickwork

Sketchy now on details as the contracts claims no liability for this issue.

Roof was obviously not done professionally...

See less See more
#2 ·
Friend of mine emailed this photo over and asked if I could come take a look tomorrow.

Said he paid a concrete contractor to pour a new driveway/ carport. He lifted the roof to do his thing and when he let it back down and anchored it- this resulted.

View attachment 112030

Sketchy now on details as the contracts claims no liability for this issue.

Roof was obviously not done professionally...
Could be a number of things. We'd all be just grabbing at straws. Take pics and get back with us.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

#8 ·
The question comes up as to why would it be necessary to 'lift a roof' to pour a concrete pad?
He said there was a carport pad poured, so most likely the entire outside support for the carport, plus the roof structure, was lifted at one end. Just a guess, and I think the photo isn't inconsistent with doing this.

I'd put this lift in the "stupid contractor tricks" category.

#9 ·
hdavis said:
He said there was a carport pad poured, so most likely the entire outside support for the carport, plus the roof structure, was lifted at one end. Just a guess, and I think the photo isn't inconsistent with doing this. I'd put this lift in the "stupid contractor tricks" category.
Just saw it. No attic access.

Just gonna rip that section out to see if there's any damage. Probably not, then just reshingle.

#15 ·
The section on the right was the section that was lifted?

If the ridge had settled on the far right it could/would have separated slightly from the intersection with the hip.

If it had been settled in such a way for years, the roof was probably installed while it was in the settled condition.

When it was jacked up the ridge was pushed back slightly toward the hip. The shingled buckled as a result.

#17 ·
Looks like the old driveway/carport concrete was settled out before he lifted everything and poured. After the pour it brought everything up causing the shingles to wrinkle.
If the concrete was lower the shingles would be stressed/torn not wrinkled.
This looks like the sheathing down to the rafters were affected.

The carport roof must have been really settled out prior.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.