Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friend of mine emailed this photo over and asked if I could come take a look tomorrow.

Said he paid a concrete contractor to pour a new driveway/ carport. He lifted the roof to do his thing and when he let it back down and anchored it- this resulted.

image-2671328073.jpg

Sketchy now on details as the contracts claims no liability for this issue.

Roof was obviously not done professionally...

·
Resident Pain
2,424 Posts
Friend of mine emailed this photo over and asked if I could come take a look tomorrow.

Said he paid a concrete contractor to pour a new driveway/ carport. He lifted the roof to do his thing and when he let it back down and anchored it- this resulted.

View attachment 112030

Sketchy now on details as the contracts claims no liability for this issue.

Roof was obviously not done professionally...
Could be a number of things. We'd all be just grabbing at straws. Take pics and get back with us.

Sent from my SGH-I337M using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,677 Posts
Attic shot would be helpful

·
General Contractor
8,051 Posts
Tell him to jump on it and it should go back down or use that blacktop tamper, just be careful not to f'up rood shingles... worth a try before he has to tear the roof off and fix it the right way :laughing:

·
Designer/Contractor
4,801 Posts
The question comes up as to why would it be necessary to 'lift a roof' to pour a concrete pad?

Did they strip it and then lift the framing or somehow disconnect it from the walls, lift and reset with the shingles in place?

·
Registered
Remodel
29,628 Posts
The question comes up as to why would it be necessary to 'lift a roof' to pour a concrete pad?
He said there was a carport pad poured, so most likely the entire outside support for the carport, plus the roof structure, was lifted at one end. Just a guess, and I think the photo isn't inconsistent with doing this.

I'd put this lift in the "stupid contractor tricks" category.

·
Registered
943 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
hdavis said:
He said there was a carport pad poured, so most likely the entire outside support for the carport, plus the roof structure, was lifted at one end. Just a guess, and I think the photo isn't inconsistent with doing this. I'd put this lift in the "stupid contractor tricks" category.
Just saw it. No attic access.

Just gonna rip that section out to see if there's any damage. Probably not, then just reshingle.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Is that house in Levitown? Looking at how the shingles overlap the facia board. We are doing a job now in levitown and I think every other house has shingles way over the facia with no gutters.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
If you look at the facia shingle....,:rolleyes: looks like the garage dropped below being on an even plane .....I'm going to go out on a limb and say the sheathing is not attached to the roof joists anymore .....lifting.....

JMPOV,...

·
Registered
106 Posts

Just gonna rip that section out to see if there's any damage. Probably not, then just reshingle.
Looks like a few of those "lifted rafters" are now higher than the original plane of the roof. It also looks like the ridge is out of whack as well over the carport. Is it stick framed or are there trusses over the carport?

·
Been around
1,151 Posts
The section on the right was the section that was lifted?

If the ridge had settled on the far right it could/would have separated slightly from the intersection with the hip.

If it had been settled in such a way for years, the roof was probably installed while it was in the settled condition.

When it was jacked up the ridge was pushed back slightly toward the hip. The shingled buckled as a result.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts

My guess is there's wood rot under those shingles. How else would the shingles buckle? I'd do some tear off first, see what's going on then give them some options. Did you offer to do it the right way? New roof, new gutters?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Looks like the old driveway/carport concrete was settled out before he lifted everything and poured. After the pour it brought everything up causing the shingles to wrinkle.
If the concrete was lower the shingles would be stressed/torn not wrinkled.
This looks like the sheathing down to the rafters were affected.

The carport roof must have been really settled out prior.

·
Contractor
4,742 Posts
my guess is the carport was built in it's 'lowered' state and by lifting the roof it buckled the point where it joins the original structure. It may be as easy as refastening the sheathing to the original structure...or not

1 - 18 of 18 Posts