Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a friend who is a talented programmer. He's been a good hand on some of my projects as well. He wants to make software for the construction industry because he thinks there's room for something.

As he put it, "I think that maybe construction hasn't been optimized by the world's programmers yet, because programmers don't generally like to go outside and build houses."

Any ideas?

·
Registered
543 Posts
Golden view said:
I have a friend who is a talented programmer. He's been a good hand on some of my projects as well. He wants to make software for the construction industry because he thinks there's room for something. As he put it, "I think that maybe construction hasn't been optimized by the world's programmers yet, because programmers don't generally like to go outside and build houses." Any ideas?
something that helps the one and two man shows .pricing estimating,design programs etc but affordable.

a dedicated spread sheet system for us to input all our pricing for renovators ,carpenter etc

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was kind of thinking along the same lines.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Quickbooks already does that

I think the biggest help would be a good scheduling program with dependencies, like ms project but simpler and syncs with gcal

I make a schedule and it is destroyed within hours, if i could drag and drop jobs to different days and everything else moved with it that would be awesome

Also a simple to use design program like sketchup but with premade elements that could be dragged and dropped, like stairs, doors windows etc

·
Registered
432 Posts
Home Designer does that well.
thanks i will take a look

i often get jobs like shop fronts or built ins that i need to draw up to give the customer an idea of what i have in mind, I tend to do it in sketchup but it is time consuming but i cant really think of how it could be speeded up

·
Premium Member
1,224 Posts
carpenter uk said:
Quickbooks already does that I think the biggest help would be a good scheduling program with dependencies, like ms project but simpler and syncs with gcal I make a schedule and it is destroyed within hours, if i could drag and drop jobs to different days and everything else moved with it that would be awesome Also a simple to use design program like sketchup but with premade elements that could be dragged and dropped, like stairs, doors windows etc
Try out look with google calender and they have a sync app.

·
Vendor
34 Posts

I think the biggest help would be a good scheduling program with dependencies, like ms project but simpler and syncs with gcal

I make a schedule and it is destroyed within hours, if i could drag and drop jobs to different days and everything else moved with it that would be awesome

Also a simple to use design program like sketchup but with premade elements that could be dragged and dropped, like stairs, doors windows etc
PLANNING: I have just started testing hubplanner.com (no affiliation) - bit expensive, but seems to work on a basic level for managing my crew of 10 guys.

DRAWING: I use sketchup (don't get paid for it :mad:) so, I think that I will try to use Lucidchart.com a bit more (no affil.). It has a floorplanner, but is a bit poor on displaying measurements. Good for draughting a bathroom, kitchen or a couple of rooms, but would probably struggle on an entire house.

·
Registered
219 Posts
For Scheduling or project planning I started using Omni Planner. It seems to be very flexible and easy to use.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
First thing I would do is implement offline networking. None of the construction software I have found offers it, but it's the only way to go in my opinion. Is your friend business minded or just a programmer? Most people that try to do this can never seem to get it off the ground. They either can't sell enough of them or can't keep up because they are a one man show.

·
Super Moderator
28,850 Posts

if you use the program properly, I find Project iis very effective. I've been using it since 2005. Everything from remodels, addition and custom homes. Learned how to use it doing commercial projects as a superintendent.Trick is to follow the instructions and use the constraints properly.

·
Registered
3,977 Posts
Jaws said:
if you use the program properly, I find Project iis very effective. I've been using it since 2005. Everything from remodels, addition and custom homes. Learned how to use it doing commercial projects as a superintendent.Trick is to follow the instructions and use the constraints properly.
I bought MS Project 98 when it came out and have been using it since. Except I think the future method is to integrate estimating and scheduling. It's much more efficient to write up your estimate then have it automatically write your schedule.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts