Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just sittin around looking at new jigsaws and all of a sudden my coffee table exploded. I don't think I've touched it for at least 10 minutes.

Room Living room Table Coffee table Furniture

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Youngin' said:
Don't lie, you were banging the old lady on it weren't you?
Shopping for jig saws is a euphemism in my house. And given the slivers I found in my fingers cleaning it up, I think if that was the case I'd definitely be posting this to some sort of medical forum instead.

Griz, I guess I'm glad I was just looking at the edge and didn't actually brush against it.

·
Hair Splitter
18,333 Posts
Just sittin around looking at new jigsaws and all of a sudden my coffee table exploded. I don't think I've touched it for at least 10 minutes.

View attachment 109815
When tempered glass goes it explodes. Temp change or like Griz said, the edge is the weakest part. Even a slight touch in the wrong area and BOOM.

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Tempered glass is always under extreme pressure and just a hair away from exploding at all times. Someone may have scratched it, or bumped it days or months ago. I won't have exposed tops at my place. Minus the dining room table my wife insists on. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,882 Posts
Tempered glass is always under extreme pressure and just a hair away from exploding at all times. Someone may have scratched it, or bumped it days or months ago. I won't have exposed tops at my place. Minus the dining room table my wife insists on. :rolleyes:
My glass guy told me the same thing a couple of years ago, a very small scratch today may make it explode a year from now. He said it happens more than you would think, luckily the glass doesn't go too far.

Sometimes hitting tempered glass with a hammer in the center won't break it but just tapping the edge will

·
Registered
514 Posts
Is that a bowl of something that was on the table? If so, was it hot food? Extreme temps can screw with glass and cause it to break.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Wow! That sucks... I have three desks in my office that have tempered glass tops.

I never knew the glass could do that. Does it fly all over or sort of fall down? I really don't want to have a face full of glass while sitting a my computer...

·
Registered
12,987 Posts
Just wait until a customer brings in a couple of huge panes of glass for you to cut down.

Me: "There's no bug, but these feel like tempered"

"Nope, I'm pretty sure they aren't"

Me: "I'm pretty sure they are, so I can't cut them"

"Sh!t, just cut them jackass"

Me: "They are going to explode."

"Dude, I told you they aren't tempered"

Me: "Fine, I'll cut them, but if they explode, it's on you"

"Fine, just do it"

Cut, explode. :rolleyes:

"Sh!t, you broke my glass *******"

Me: "Get the F#ck out of my shop before we all beat the sh!t out of
you"

Then he slammed our door and broke the closer. :censored:

Long story to just say don't try cutting that stuff. It was so long and drawn out that we all about died laughing when he broke the door and left. :laughing:

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
TRMolnar said:
Wow! That sucks... I have three desks in my office that have tempered glass tops. I never knew the glass could do that. Does it fly all over or sort of fall down? I really don't want to have a face full of glass while sitting a my computer...
It definitely explodes, but only out and down (with gravity). I was sitting right next to it with my feet on the couch and didn't get any pieces on my lap but found pieces in other rooms that had ricocheted through the doorway.

ESSaustin said:
Is that a bowl of something that was on the table? If so, was it hot food? Extreme temps can screw with glass and cause it to break.
That was my dinner but I'm not sure it was ever very hot. I've definitely put very dinner bowls on it in the last, though.

EarthQuakens said:
Did you have a lap top on it? Makes the temps all goofy then if the wind blows right boom
And while I have used my laptop on it before, only my iPad was on the table when it exploded. It only gets warm when I stream movies.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts