Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Locally all that is available is Henry products and from what i have read that is the last choice for quality elastomer. I will have to order online what i need so i am looking for opinions on what brand(s) to look for. THanks

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
No one is postin......elasto is sketchy. It has to be prepped extremely well and recoated every couple years no matter the brand.

Sorry not much help.....I have used Henry, Snow-cote, and Conklin with about the same longevity on temp to short term and had cracks in all

For the cost per sq to do elasto with any success you might as well fix it right IMHO

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
RoofMate makes some quality products.

RedAdobe, there are projects that elastomeric is the correct way to do it. It is a better product than hot-mop when properly applied. Some projects just don't work with products that come on a roll.

·
Registered
1,300 Posts
Disagree with any elastomeric coating being better then a hot mop, but some times elstomeric is the only option.

Products we have use are GAF/Top coat and ER systems.

Prepwork is key to a long lasting coating.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What about SealBest? Its available through menards and i can get to one a couple hours from here. Thanks

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
Generally the home centers are stuck fighting for sales over price. That forces them to stock less expensive products which are generally inferior. The products could have less solids, more water, etc.

Get a system, not a product. The system will include all of the pieces, a thick plastic roof cement product for prep, a base coat, a fabric to embed in the base coat, and a top coat. Don't rush it. Do the prep, then wait the prescribed amount of time.

Reactions: lrissler

·
Commercial Roofer
26 Posts
Generally the home centers are stuck fighting for sales over price. That forces them to stock less expensive products which are generally inferior. The products could have less solids, more water, etc.

Get a system, not a product. The system will include all of the pieces, a thick plastic roof cement product for prep, a base coat, a fabric to embed in the base coat, and a top coat. Don't rush it. Do the prep, then wait the prescribed amount of time.
I agree. Use a system. quality coatings and fabric at seams or field depending on the substrate.

Use proper cleaner and power wash
Prime
Base coat / fabric/ base coat
Top coat

The system I like using is 27 mill thickness after curing.
We use Conklin Roofing Systems when restoring roofs to extend it's life. If you would like more info be glad to help

·
Registered
1,214 Posts
Thom I never said nuttin about anything on a roll.

I just came back from Arkansas, a fella was coating metal roofs with elasto 5 years ago and now they are leaking worse then they did BEFORE. ( had they replaced screws it be alot less mess) now the metal and perlins are rusting where the elasto has cracked and held water. So that bandaid is going to cost ALOT more now.

Yes there is a time and place for this product , but still people need to know its not a long term product they can forget to maintane

1 - 9 of 9 Posts