Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

What vehicular navigation GPS do you use?

1 - 20 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
853 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Garmin Nuvi 205. Having one and not having one is a night and day difference.

I think I could get a higher end, but I'm thinking the gain is minimal. I was considering a different brand since I'm not really fond of Garmin's lack of showing upcoming cross street.

What about you guys?

·
Super Moderator
24,333 Posts
Wife has a Garmin & I have a Magellan. Both are way cool to have. They'll even spot the gas when we're out on the lake.

·
Dufus Extrodinaire
159 Posts
Garmin Nuvi - works great but the battery life needs to be longer!

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
24,738 Posts
I have a Nuvi 265 that I was given for Christmas. It's fun to use, and I'll admit that it's given me a couple of shortcuts now and then that I probably wouldn't have taken otherwise.

However, I have many years' experience with paper maps and sketchy verbal directions, so it's hard for me to see it as an essential tool. Quite the converse--get dependent on it, and when it breaks, you're liable to find yourself up the creek without a compass.

As for cross streets, the Garmin software seems fairly intelligent about that. If I'm cruising relatively slowly through a town or residential neighborhood, it does show every upcoming street/road. If I'm gobbling miles on an hour long trip on the interstate, it doesn't even bother showing the [irrelevant] exits I'm passing.

Why do you need to see upcoming cross streets that aren't on your route?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,580 Posts
Garmin 1450. Shows cross streets on the screen, just doesn't announce them.

I also keep a map book in the van.

·
paper hanger,painter
916 Posts
I just bought the wife a Garmin last week. Now the question is ,do any of you guys have a temporary mounting system? The wife HATES anything out of place or added on, so using the permanent holder that came with it is absolutely out of the question. I am trying to come up with something temporary that would stay on the dash for say just one trip at a time.Something like a beanbag holder?:w00t: Any thoughts?
Thanks

·
Registered
154 Posts
I just bought the wife a Garmin last week. Now the question is ,do any of you guys have a temporary mounting system? The wife HATES anything out of place or added on, so using the permanent holder that came with it is absolutely out of the question. I am trying to come up with something temporary that would stay on the dash for say just one trip at a time.Something like a beanbag holder?:w00t: Any thoughts?
Thanks

Garmin makes a bracket with a suction cup that mounts on your windshield. That's what I've used for the last few years and they work good.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Got a Tom Tom 1 for X-mas from the MIL, thought it was the greatest thing, until it got me lost twice, it now sits in the center console of my truck, along with the rest of my junk.

For a trip out of town, or to an area I'm not familiar with, I will usually print out directions from Google maps.
Sounds like everyone with a Garmin is pretty happy. Guy I know works at a local car rental chain, he says they only use Garmin, FWIW.

Maybe Santa will bring me one next x-mas

·
WICKED WOODCHUCKER
893 Posts
Thanks
I too have a garmin, love it works great on trips. i dont have the holder, i used velcro. works great.

·
Registered
388 Posts
... Quite the converse--get dependent on it, and when it breaks, you're liable to find yourself up the creek without a compass. ...
Unfortunately, I am proof of the above statement. I used to not be geographically challenged, but my dependence on a GPS has made it that way when I'm out of town.

Once my malaise gets more diagnosed and well known, free GPSs for all (afflicted) I demand!

p.s. Garmin makes a beanbag mount available. A friend uses it and is satisfied.

·
Pompass Ass
2,090 Posts
I prefer Garmin for GPS, that is my main plotter for my boat as well as my vehicle's.

A good GPS will pay for itself in a month with the time it saves you plus gas.

·
153 Posts
I use the verizon navigator feature on my phone. It works OK so far. Of course the screen is too small to see easily but it talks to you so I don't even try to look at the screen anymore.

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
anyone tried navigon for iphone?

supposed to be very good
yes, i use it more than my garmin around town to find clients houses and such.

I have a handheld garmin Vista c that i have had for years. i have a map program for it that you have to pug into the computer to get maps onto the unit. not as nice if you travel alot, but for around town it does the trick. when i bought it, it was for hiking and mountaineering. i started using it when my boss starting giving me directions.

i am buying a pioneer navigation unit for my truck pretty quickly. no more loading different maps before trips.

1 - 20 of 67 Posts