Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I stole this idea from tncontractor ;)

What Associations or other business organizations are you a member of?
What are the benefits in being a member of these organizations?
Do you advertise that you are a member?

·
Flooring Guru
2,794 Posts
We are a part of Carpet one, which is a division of cca global.
It is the biggest buying group of flooring in North America.
Yes we do advertise it because it gets us the best pricing available.
Plus they help with advertising and sales, and training.
There is only 1 Carpet One store per city, and they will only deal with the best stores based on sales, customer satisfaction, years in the business, ect....

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
National Roofing Contractors Association, Glenview chamber of commerce, GAF authorized residential roofing installer. I'd like to join the BBB but my boss doesn't want to.

I tell GC's we are a member of the NRCA. I tell home owners we are GAF authorized. I tell people that live in Glenview we are a Glenview chamber of commerce member.

·
Back from the dead...
6,646 Posts
National Guild of Professional Paperhangers

I advertise it only because it shows I care about my trade.

It doesn't mean much here in StL, the guild has a much bigger presence in the north-east and south.

I am in fact only 1 of three in MO who belong to this association and have reaped benefits because of that. The other 2 members obviously only use their membership to use the logo and as a tax write-off. They never show up for any conventions or functions whatsoever. The missed networking for them has helped me greatly.

I've gotten alot of large lucrative jobs because contractors in a sticky paper situation have been told to find a guild hanger to rectify their problems. They get my name from the guild website, or referral from another guild member.

As a result I scored a couple contracts for hanging murals in new BassProShops and O'Charleys restaurants. All because of $150 membership that does nothing but improve me in my trade.

And there you go.

·
Sean
5,470 Posts
NARI (1 of 3 in AL) - I have gotten 4 leads from them, also the BBB & Cullman Chamber of Commerce

Advertise that I am a member - you bet, if I didn't believe that they were doing good for the community, or groups that they represent, I wouldn't be a member

Side benefit from the memberships being advertised on my website, less tire kickers or people looking for that $20 door install - better leads

·
I eat sawdust.
3,975 Posts
I'll be a member of the GVHBA soon. I've just been waiting for the extra money for membership fees. I've been buying too many new toys lately. Probably will join within the next month.

And yes, I will definitely advertise it. It shows that I care about my work, and there is a code of ethics involved. It sets a standard that members follow.

Benefits include access to lots of resources, like suppliers, and other members that do things that I don't. They are active in municipality and code issues as well.

·
Smart phone? Scan me!
2,137 Posts
former local chamber of commerce member.. that was a joke, more self preservation, self fluffing than anything real coming of it. I got plenty of people breathing down my neck about me using their services.. when I got tired of hearing it I would say "yeah so do you guys need some painting done?" I heard crickets on the other end.. and then stopped answering calls from these folks. I am debating on joining a local apartment association.. just a lil bit weary after the chamber experience..

·
St. Louis Park Remodeling
56 Posts
I am a member of the BBB just so I do not have to explain why not. I am a NARI member and hold their certified remodeler status. We are also members of three chamber of commerce which has been a great experience.

Someone told me once you only get out what you put into it.

·
Registered
1,449 Posts
CEDIA, their finder has resulted in enough revenue to offset their fees. I'm certified under their designations, and take quite a few of their courses. It's well worth it.

CANASA, the Canadian Security Association.. Not sure why exactly I joined, but it was quite inexpensive.

I keep debating the local Home Builders Association, but it's far from cheap, and every membership drive meeting I go to, there are NEVER any actual people there who are decision makers.. just other people with no money looking to sell their services.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts