Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

21 - 40 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
If you can't really adjust to a particular brush, you can't really use it well. Grip shape, balance, etc. It really shows when you paint an area you can't see. You paint by feel. If you can't tell what is going on by the feel, a different brush may work better for you.

JMO.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
Wooster Alpha is my regular workhorse. Quick pickup & release, holds a lot of paint, cleans up very quickly.

For finer finishes, E & J Gen X is a pleasure to wield and lays out paint like glass. Once you give it a try, your Purdys & Coronas will get all lonely & dusty & sad & stuff.
I. see that E$J has a 3 inch rat tail. I may have to give them a try. Fat handles cramp my hands.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10,795 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
This thread is going so well...how about roller covers? :hammer:

1/2 vs. 3/8 on interior walls? Brand/types? Using the 18"ers?

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
This thread is going so well...how about roller covers?

1/2 vs. 3/8 on interior walls? Brand/types? Using the 18"ers?
3/8 woven purdy for satins and semi's that I believe are heat treated.

polyester's been suggested by my rep get the paint on more level - supposedly it pulls less direction, but I'd rather have walls with no hairs.
sanding pre-painted walls with a pad 1st.

use the skinny minny's a lot in kitchens and baths, around commodes, on six-panel doors to lay the initial layer off quick before brushing it out.

·
Registered
853 Posts
My go to brushes are wrapped up sitting in a bucket in the back seat of my truck because I keep forgetting to wash them out. Thanks for reminding me!

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
Roller covers are a whole different topic. How much will cripple do so I want, how smooth and flat is the wall or ceiling, what paint(s) do you use.

18s are mostly limited to ceilings. Walls I usually use 9s, but 12s and 13.5s (which I make from an 18) can be worthwhile. 9s are loaded out of the pail, 12s and 13.5s are loaded in a deep 12 pan stiff 9" frame, 18s are loaded out of a deep 18 pan.

Lots of polyester covers for mid range latex paints. I also have woven and lambswool. Purdy white dove used to be a go to, but not any more.

·
Registered
11,228 Posts
Just as important are the frames.

I only use the shurlock frames. Now they have them for the wienie rollers as well. Add that to the clip on extension poles and it is a pleasure to paint.

At least as much as can be.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
My go to brushes are wrapped up sitting in a bucket in the back seat of my truck because I keep forgetting to wash them out. Thanks for reminding me!
I prefer foil, to store temporarily or when I'm just too tired to clean them out at the end of the day.

Or at least toss them in a quick rinse and then finish cleaning whenever...

·
Registered
86 Posts
I love my 1/2" roller sleeves for interior walls. I like Purdy Marathons or Purdy Golden Eagles. Just good, solid sleeves for a fair price. Lots of painters use the microfiber sleeves but I have found they just don't put on enough paint, so much so, that, in some cases, you have to apply 3 coats to get proper coverage.

·
pro
294 Posts
not a painter but i use corona panther for priming and a paste brush. good for cutting in thin primers like gardz and stiff enough to push/pull thick paste.

i use 3/8 microfiber for priming gardz and like the ppg pro supreme 3/8 knit covers for pasting.

i used the wooster frames for years and would go thru 2-3 a years banging them on the side of the bucket trying to knock the cover off. switched to the kwik release from sw. i have two close to 10 years old and haven't broken them. i do need to replace cause the fins on the ends that hold the cover on are wearing down.

and my favorite pole is an old structron
superhandle II 2'-4' dual twist lock I've had for like 25 years. faster than the pull knob ones but i don't think they make them anymore.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
...The old 4" Sherwin Williams wave wall brushes would hold so much paint, you'd wear your arm out. Nothing compared to them for production, IMO. They took extra time to clean, but for me, it was time well spent.

Clean time was a reason a lot of painters didn't use them.
You talking those old roundish-handle, yellow bristle box brushes? Giants.

Weren't those mainly meant for floor finishes?

·
Registered
26,203 Posts
You talking those old roundish-handle, yellow bristle box brushes? Giants.

Weren't those mainly meant for floor finishes?
Not yellow bristle, conventional handle. They had various bristle combinations. The key was a big well, and the bristles were wavy, so it would hold more paint in the bristles than a regular brush.

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
What method do you guys use to dry off your brushes just before putting them in their sheath?
Most people whack them on the toe of their boot . I give them the Bob Ross slap back and forth on a ladder or something, works good

21 - 40 of 50 Posts