Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
10,794 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace some brushes.

In terms of brand/model, what are some of your preferred brushes for various paints (ProMar 200, no VOC latex, BM Regal select etc, etc....?

(And what to avoid?)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
Wooster ultra/pro firm sable 3” , I buy them by the box of 6 , my preferred latex brush for years .

For oil I use Wooster yachtsman 3” , cheap and functional , it cost too much to clean oil brushes now , so I treat them as disposable

Purdy has good brushes too .

I avoid buying brushes at HD or Lowe’s , the brands are the same but the quality isn’t.

Really it doesn’t matter as long as you don’t buy the real cheap brushes.

Reactions: MarkJames

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
I keep a range of brushes for interior work. I'll start with the brush I think will be best for that latex paint. If I need to switch brushes, I do.

Go tos are wooster alpha and wooster silver tip.

All my oil brushes are not available any more, and neither are my exterior latex brushes.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
BTW, brushes make a huge difference on the quality you get and rate. Some paints and painting situations are more forgiving, some are very unforgiving.

·
Registered
11,219 Posts
I love the Silvertips for budget brushes. Probably use them more than any other.

I love the Alphas with the rat tail handles, but they tend to pull the pigments on dark colors and make streaks unless you hold them flatter than normal.

Purdy Nylox are good except they don't seem to hold up very long anymore.

I tried the Coronas, can't stand them. I may try them again, but they aren't at the suppliers I normally go to.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
I have a variety of high and low end. Sometimes the Corona Picasso is the best choice for me. Not very often.

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Purdy sash ultra stiff.

But, they have changed out their bristles, that are junkier. And the lesser ones are far too saggy and limp now to make any time with it seems.

I have to order the 3 1/2". Particularly for stomps, or ceiling cuts. Or any tall spots that you don't want to linger around with.

Does anyone offer plastic sash cases anywhere as they all seem to fall apart so quick? Always end up taping them back together. Time and time and time again.

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Lots of good brushes on the market, i was always a die hard Corona person, in my area they are too difficult to find and i not hunting for them or mail ordering. So the reality is what is decent enough, holds up to daily cleaning and readily available, I now use the Purdy Chinex brushes and really have no complaints.
They hold up to daily use and more importantly daily cleaning. Once they loose their shape they go to priming and cutting ceilings, then they get used for some type of disposable job such as epoxy coating then tossed.

·
Stelzer Painting Inc.
133 Posts
Wooster Alpha is my regular workhorse. Quick pickup & release, holds a lot of paint, cleans up very quickly.

For finer finishes, E & J Gen X is a pleasure to wield and lays out paint like glass. Once you give it a try, your Purdys & Coronas will get all lonely & dusty & sad & stuff.

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
Never heard of them. But they're made in USA, have a wide selection, etc. Looks good. Which of their brushes might you suggest for interior work?
The one I linked to. The painter I'd been using had them. We use SW paint, but he gets those from some other place local.

Reactions: MarkJames

·
Registered
1,630 Posts
Sorry Tom, I gave them a try, none of my crew like them and they sit in the bottom of the brush box. Odd feeling to hold onto.

At the end of the day this is one of those Ford / Chevy discussions. If I was only using the brushes myself vs the whole crew then I may be more diligent about a particular brush. With putting on multiple products and colors each day we use a lot of brushes most days, how easy they clean up and hold up is why I just go with the Chinex.

·
Registered
26,148 Posts
I'll take extra clean up time if I'm using a brush all day and it boosts production enough.

Until recently, all my wood clapboard painting was by brush only. Whole house exteriors.

The old 4" Sherwin Williams wave wall brushes would hold so much paint, you'd wear your arm out. Nothing compared to them for production, IMO. They took extra time to clean, but for me, it was time well spent.

Clean time was a reason a lot of painters didn't use them.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts