Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is your biggest waste of time that could be better as a contractor? In what areas are your biggest frustrations. By sharing stories, sometimes nightmares, maybe we can solve some needed problems. What do you think?

·
Registered
346 Posts
bidding.....estimating....

seems all too often I find myself cutting my own throat in order to keep the cost as low as I can. spending hours tightening as much as I can, only to find a home depot parking lot "contractor" can beat it by 50%....

think I am starting the "charging for detailed bids" this January 2014.....

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
Biggest headaches?

1. Local residents in the community using my dumpster when I am doing a gut-out job.

2. Other LV contractors using and/or sharing the holes that I drill during rough-ins. (e.g. the alarm company and the cable guy)

3. Explaining to the cable guy and alarm guy why they have to drill their own holes and why they can't use mine.

4. Explaining to homeowner why they can't tell the cable guy and the alarm guy that it's OK to use the holes that I drilled.

5. Unusable porta-potty units.

6. Getting tools back in worse condition than it was when I loaned them out. This includes missing instructions, cases, covers, etc.

7. Belligerent and demanding clients that have no money.

8. Deceptive sales people who claim to have something to grow my business only to realize that they want me to join their pyramid selling overpriced products.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Employee's that dont listen, Show up late then have to leave early to make up for being late. THERE IS NO PHONE IN CONSTRUCTION. Can you down load a app to do your job. THERE IS NO TEXTING IN CONSTRUCTION.

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
Sales people/Sales calls.

Standing on a ladder soldering pipe inches from my eyeballs, and the PHUKKING PHONE rings, and when I get around to looking at the call log and checking voicemail, it's some stupid-assed pre-recorded message trying to sell me insurance that I don't need FOR THE FIFTIETH PHUKKING time.

I wish I could reach through the phone and hit people sometimes.

·
Capra Aegagrus
Remodeler
25,217 Posts
Not sure what standing on a ladder has to do with sales calls. :laughing:

I have no problem at all with ignoring a call while my hands are busy. If it's a client or a potential client, he'll leave a voicemail. :thumbsup:

·
Goin' Down in Flames....
Highwayman
6,486 Posts
Not sure what standing on a ladder has to do with sales calls. :laughing:

I have no problem at all with ignoring a call while my hands are busy. If it's a client or a potential client, he'll leave a voicemail. :thumbsup:
Because my phone is on vibrate, and it surprises the S#!t out of me everytime. :laughing:

·
Registered
2,216 Posts

Standing on a ladder soldering pipe inches from my eyeballs, and the PHUKKING PHONE rings, and when I get around to looking at the call log and checking voicemail, it's some stupid-assed pre-recorded message trying to sell me insurance that I don't need FOR THE FIFTIETH PHUKKING time.

^^^^^^^Yeah.... and it doesn't matter if I'm on a ladder, or drinking beer in an easy chair.....

I'm going to start booking a sales call, and scare the chit out of them when they show up.

I don't even mind bad customers or unforseen job issues, that's part of the nature of the job..... but those interupting calls, when I'm on the no-call list, really get me angry.

Any good solutions, I'm open to any ideas that don't involve me having to bury anything.

·
Registered
1,764 Posts
When I am hanging wallpaper and don't need the distraction of a cell phone ringing I make sure I leave it in the van.

My biggest time waster off the top of my head is not doing a better job of screening calls. I am wasting time meeting people to look at jobs that don't interest me. I am trying to get better.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,615 Posts
Biggest headache. Absolutely HO who can't make timely decisions.

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
Quoting work, got sent to the Chinese embassy for the fourth time and didnt get the work, thats about 6hrs of my time I didnt generate income for my boss. I said we might be better off saying we are too busy to send someone next time. I cant go any lower without being a total hack.

Materials left around the site, "hey squatch, we need more boxes and 8x1 screws" I can guarantee I can walk around the site and find some someone has left somewhere. It all adds up and eats into profit margins. We may be a multi million dollar company but a few cents here and a few cents there everyday on a 2 year job can mean no bonuses and lay offs.

·
Have Trowel, Do travel
909 Posts
my wife calling for no reason, then getting upset if i don't give her replies to:
where are you?
who you with?
what you doin?
are you sure?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts

this is a really easy problem to solve.

About 20 years ago when I got my first cel phone I thought " Fantastic- I will never miss a prospective customers call again- I can call forward my office line to my cell phone during business hours ! "

Between spotty cel service and telemarketers-THAT turned out to be a mistake

So I went back to the old fashioned answering machine. All business calls go to that machine-and at the end of the day I will sit down with a cold drink ,a pencil and a notebook and make all my calls at once.

Only 6 people in the world have my cel phone number.
1) wife
2) oldest son ( and employee)
3) oldest sons' daughter
4) youngest son ( and employee)
5) youngest sons' girlfriend and I assume eventual wife
6) one supplier

that's it- 6 people. If my phone rings- I answer it. Period- but those are the only people I want to hear from during the day. I Certainly don't want prospective customers calling me on my cel phone- they can call the office and leave a message----or not--- I really don't care.

Frankly- if I could figure out how to get that supplier off of my list, I would.

social calls go through my wife.

Stephen

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,615 Posts
You're gonna drown in a car where he went on vacation.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts