Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are stamped plans running in your area for

1. Garages
2. Additions
3. Decks
4. Pole barns

I have paid $280 to about $750

$280 for pole barn foundation plan, building section, elevations

$750 for pole barn foundation plan, building section, elevations, site plan with parking, lighting plan

Stamped plans rarely required in NY.

·
Super Moderator
27,540 Posts
Im paying as little as 300 for an addition or deck if we do the drawing and spec our beams and pilings. Its just for the stamp. As much as a couple grand on other stuff. 100 for every inspection.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I interviewed three new design professionals yesterday as my current engineer has gotten squirelly on me lately much to my annoyance.

The range for very minimal changes to existing plans and restamp was $200 to $400.

Most plans are very simple as pole barns are not too complicated.

On occasion we also build other projects such as decks, additions, breezeways and garages.

I always provide a very detailed sketch. I have tried to get enthused about sketchup and some other programs but I am way too busy to take the proper time.

Much of the design industry in my area seems like an odd bunch. I found one yesterday that seemed to have some common sense. A rare find out my way for a design pro.

·
Box Builder
6,315 Posts
PoleBarnsNY said:
I interviewed three new design professionals yesterday as my current engineer has gotten squirelly on me lately much to my annoyance. The range for very minimal changes to existing plans and restamp was $200 to $400. Most plans are very simple as pole barns are not too complicated. On occasion we also build other projects such as decks, additions, breezeways and garages. I always provide a very detailed sketch. I have tried to get enthused about sketchup and some other programs but I am way too busy to take the proper time. Much of the design industry in my area seems like an odd bunch. I found one yesterday that seemed to have some common sense. A rare find out my way for a design pro.
Careful of those guys that seem to have common sense. Something wrong with them.

·
Thom
4,137 Posts
I feel like I'm doing well if I can get plans stamped for under $2K.

·
Tall Moose
109 Posts
I pay abour $500-800 for stamped deck plans provided I do the drawings and spec my posts.

If I do nothing, I've had quotes for over $2k for a deck...Never gone that route though.

Structural modifications to houses, typically around $1300 for a site visit and engineers letter, +$500 for stamped plans ready to go to the permit office.

·
Talking Head
5,388 Posts
I just got an alteration to a load bearing beam stamped for $275 with my drawings and measurements. I had another guy come up and look at it for an hour(I knew it was going to be bad right then) who sent me a quote for $1800. A damn quote for using my drawings. Sheesh.

·
Registered
403 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
It seems like a high proportion of weird, nut bars in the design profession. Over designing seems to be a common habit also.

Anyone else have the experience of thinking 4 out of 5 times getting acquainted with new design professionals, I would never invite this odd ball to a bbq?

I have worked for a few over the years also with similar thoughts. One guy I swear shop vacuumed his lawn after we back filled the holes for his deck.

·
Tall Moose
109 Posts
It seems like a high proportion of weird, nut bars in the design profession. Over designing seems to be a common habit also.

Anyone else have the experience of thinking 4 out of 5 times getting acquainted with new design professionals, I would never invite this odd ball to a bbq?

I have worked for a few over the years also with similar thoughts. One guy I swear shop vacuumed his lawn after we back filled the holes for his deck.
Hahaha, Yup! Had a client a couple years ago that was a mech eng. One day as we were wrapping up I watched him vacuum his car, and then proceed to vacuum the driveway?!

But seriously, I don't think design professionals are any different than our trades...you got the bottom barrel feeders, the whack-jobs, and then us...the 'normal' folks...

I figure most of us generally don't associate with whack-jobs that often...

·
Registered
3,072 Posts
Careful of those guys that seem to have common sense. Something wrong with them.
It's now called un-common sense, because good sense ain't common

Car port to sun room signed and sealed $450.00, with all simpson tie downs specked.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
Man I feel bad for all you guys..... In Michigan you only need a seal on plans when the square footage of a home exceeds 3500. That means I can design a house up to 3499 sqft and as long as it makes it through plan review I am good to go. We are getting ready to remove a crawl and put a full basement under an existing 17' X 20' addition, and we had an S.E. draw those plans. He charged 1700.

·
Registered
60 Posts
WARNING - With the above mentioned stamped design fee's none of you try to set up shop here in California.

Example in Los Angeles area: a simple single story 800 SF room addition is between $1,500. to $3,000. and it is not uncommon that we pay $4,500. to $7,000. for design/structural on a 1,500 SF house remodel that has some structural up grades, oh then we need "Structural Observation" at typically $300.-$400. each and "Deputy Inspection" that runs $200.-$300. a pop (epoxy inserts, welding, etc.).

When I try to explain why a 2,500 SF house cost between $165. to $225. SF to customers they usually don't get it. And the above does not include plan check and building permit fees ($7,000. to $12,000.) and impact fees, connection fees, school fees, on and on that cost $15,000. to $60,000. per house.

The flip side is that this house value, in a decent market and in a decent area, has a sale value of $425. to $600. per SF or 2,500 SF @ $500./SF = $1,250,000.

·
Repair & Renovation
3,257 Posts
What are you guys paying for commercial builds?

Im soon to get a set of plans from a client that payed lots of money for a 4000 sf build in a warehouse.

Including the basic non detailed design structural,mech,electrical, sprinkler engineering done and stamped

·
Registered
649 Posts
Rich D. said:
What are you guys paying for commercial builds? Im soon to get a set of plans from a client that payed lots of money for a 4000 sf build in a warehouse. Including the basic non detailed design structural,mech,electrical, sprinkler engineering done and stamped
Anywhere from 2%-5%. Depends if MEP's are design build. Could be more if civil work is extensive.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts