Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I absolutely suck at drywall mudding LOL I put it on, sand it off- repeat. I'm getting better at it though, got some advise from a buddy who's a drywall mud guy. He's amazing at what he does, I think it's skill/art combined.

I am good at angles/crown moulding - not sure why. Working on a job now where I am joining a 41 deg. spring angle to a 32 deg. spring angle, while maintaining the reveal on the header that it rests against.

That means that one piece is 1" shorter than the other, so the pattern doesn't match. Solution: set it up in my garage, use a piece of kd spruce 2x8 and match it up to the 41 deg piece, trace the pattern then "slowly" push it through my table saw sideways (sorta) carving out hollows a bit at a time. Takes about 4 hours to do 2 feet LOL I've got two done, two more to go. Client is over the moon, two other crown guys said it couldn't be done :) and yes, I'm losing my shirt on this one hahahaha oh boy.

I also did a fence for a client recently, only because they are a good client - I don't do fences.

string line, plumb bob, laser-that fence is so g######d straight and plumb! this isn't the way to build a fence!!! but I don't really know another way and being a trim guy I just use what I know - so to the fence guys, you have a fan cause I've seen crews workin like bees digging/nailing - done! and it looks good.

So what are you good/notsogood at?

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
good at

interior / exterior trim
decks
siding
framing

suck at

painting
taping drywall
broom finish in concrete

Reactions: Jaws

·
Super Moderator
10,605 Posts
I suck at plumbing. I also hate it, so little chance of me doing it much. I am great at creative problem solving as it relates to my trade (framing) and as a crew, we are getting pretty good at exterior trim (Azek, cedar. etc.)

·
The Ultimate Wire Hider
4,455 Posts
I absolutely suck at drywall mudding LOL I put it on, sand it off- repeat.
So do I. But I get around it by adding several thin coats of mud to get it smooth. I could never understand why people go through that vicious cycle of spreading it on and sanding it down just to spread more on it.

Also, I suck at cutting straight lines with a circular saw. It doesn't matter if it's a 2x4 or a sheet of plywood. The cut comes out with an angle every time.

I'm relatively good at plumbing. I've never had a sweat joint break loose in the last 20 years.. but then again I use 3 to 4 inches of solder on every joint leaving all of those silver boogers on the floor. :no:

My roofing work is suspect. The only roof I ever installed doesn't leak but I am not 100% sure that I did the job properly.:whistling

Landscaping is not one of my stronger points either. Some people can move their trees and bushes around like it's furniture. Anything that I try to plant or replant usually dies. :rolleyes:

·
Love me some Concrete
1,834 Posts
Here's my problem:

I can build a house, wire it, plumb it and literally do all of it including foundation except for HVAC.

How the fvck can I not figure out how to bleed the brakes on my kids quad! I have no skills mechanically other than changing oil and I probably could screw that up!

·
Lazy Millennial
Carpenter
4,014 Posts
I'm good at finishing, fine details, and organization. I'm not great at framing. Sounds funny because I'm a carpenter but I think it's more do with exposure to it. I haven't had a chance to really work with a dedicated crew doing it.

I'm also bad at small talk. Someone asks what I do for fun and my mind goes blank. :laughing:

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
27,698 Posts
Same as kirk, add welding to the good at list.

I wont paint. Lol

Not good at any MEPs because you have to be licensed in Texas to do any of them. I have done very little of them myself.

·
Registered
1,559 Posts
I suck at getting up early. :laughing:
I had the benifit of watching and learning from a Master Plasterer,
He told me to pretend you are doing body work on a 57 chevy.
Put it on smooth and leave it.
If it doesn't go on smooth it is too thick.
I hate ceilings. :censored:

·
Hack
3,011 Posts
I'm good at formwork and landscape installation...getting better at trim and hardwood flooring.
I suck at concrete finishing (flatwork), and I will NOT paint.

·
Registered
179 Posts
sometimes I suprise myself at the things I have become good at, like drywall. I get done and my help is like damn this turned out nice, I think its all in tips from people better than you and pratice,also afew " Im broke and need to get this done times" :whistling

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,898 Posts
Good at almost everything.

Horrible at stone and brick work.

·
Registered
5,855 Posts
I'm good at doing the actual work.

I suck, suck, suck at all of the office stuff.

I am planning on enrolling in some accounting courses to reduce the amount of "sucks" to maybe one.

·
master hacker of wood
2,487 Posts
brhokel606 said:
Here's my problem:

I can build a house, wire it, plumb it and literally do all of it including foundation except for HVAC.

How the fvck can I not figure out how to bleed the brakes on my kids quad! I have no skills mechanically other than changing oil and I probably could screw that up!
Go too harbor freight, get the Blake bleed tool,

It hooks up to a compressor, and sucks the air and fluid out leaving no bubbles !!

Cheap too, you may never get it doing it the old way dude quads are the worse!!!!

·
Nail Driving Fool
554 Posts
Here's my problem:

I'm the same way. I can build practically anything. I can start with a sketch drawn on a McDonald's bag and a pile of lumber and turn it into something beautiful.

But if its got a motor on it, FORGET IT! :laughing:

1 - 20 of 48 Posts