Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Banned
1,907 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well the title says it all. What are you going to do better? I will start by saying three things I will do better.

1- I will fill out my initial call form for each new customer that calls and start a job folder for each job no matter how small.

2- I will charge more for the small jobs.

3-I will get my bids back to people faster and invoices out sooner. This make customers happier and keeps my brain less scattered.

·
Super Moderator
27,678 Posts
Just get leaner and meaner for me.

We are doing well on all fronts, but I think we are getting soft. Me especially.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
Your either big or your small. Small pays the bills ..Big makes the money.
2014 may be the year I move it up a notch. :thumbsup:

·
Super Moderator
27,678 Posts
Your either big or your small. Small pays the bills ..Big makes the money.
2014 may be the year I move it up a notch. :thumbsup:
In the middle is easy to go broke.....:whistling

Reactions: BlueRidgeGreen

·
Accidental Painter
2,292 Posts
2014 goals:

Jan 17: Train & become certified fir bathtub/countertop reglazing in sumter, SC

February: begin aggressively marketing the additional service. (paint/glazing)

July(ish): Get certified for crime scene/meth lab cleanup

Year end goal: Be respobsible for 1000 units (currently 150)

Increase sales 400% & break $100k

Continue streamlining both services with a focus on speed. Increase workload capacity in case if bulk orders for work. I want to have the capabilities to do a maximum of 50 units/week should demand require it.

Sell, Sell, Sell

·
Super Moderator
27,678 Posts
Almost everyone who has ever gotten big was making money in the middle for a while
I'm making money in the middle now. Just saying when you start a growth pattern, especially when staffing up, expect some mediocre profits for a while.

Reactions: BlueRidgeGreen

·
K&B Plus...
242 Posts
I'm going to focus on better communication with clients, in the hopes that they'll communicate better with me. I hate treating anyone like a first grader, but I think that many clients are kinda left behind on the technical details because I don't break it down well enough for them to understand.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
I plan to really start advertising, have a bunch of yard signs and flyers, business cards, promo items just laying in the shop.

I also plan to start filing my receipts on a weekly basis. Right now they go into a huge pile until tax time then it takes me 2-3 days to go through it all, input it and file it.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
I plan to really start advertising, have a bunch of yard signs and flyers, business cards, promo items just laying in the shop.

I also plan to start filing my receipts on a weekly basis. Right now they go into a huge pile until tax time then it takes me 2-3 days to go through it all, input it and file it.
When I started I was terrible with keeping track of receipts, don't want to think about how much money I lost. Hire someone to type them up for you.

My plan in increase job turnover and A/R turnover.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
SOMETHING TO PONDER: George Carlin George Carlin's wife died early in 2008 and George followed her, dying in July 2008. It is ironic George Carlin - comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent and so very appropriate. An observation by George Carlin: The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness. We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less. These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete. Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever. Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side. Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent. Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you. Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again. Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind. And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. George Carlin
L

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
blacktop said:
SOMETHING TO PONDER: George Carlin George Carlin's wife died early in 2008 and George followed her, dying in July 2008. It is ironic George Carlin - comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent and so very appropriate. An observation by George Carlin: The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness. We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less. These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete. Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever. Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side. Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent. Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you. Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again. Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind. And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. George Carlin L
I think that was actually written by NOT George Carlin.

·
Drywall Slave
9,441 Posts
I think that was actually written by NOT George Carlin.
Ya think? I know my George Carlin! That's his material down to the last few lines anyway.. All the same It's something to think about.

·
Fine Handcrafted Opinions
994 Posts
blacktop said:
Ya think? I know my George Carlin! That's his material down to the last few lines anyway.. All the same It's something to think about.
It's a good piece, I'm not saying it isn't. And I'm a Carlin fan, although I think he could have been slightly less vulgar and still made the same awesome points.

However:

http://www.snopes.com/politics/soapbox/paradox.asp

·
Banned
3,075 Posts
SOMETHING TO PONDER: George Carlin George Carlin's wife died early in 2008 and George followed her, dying in July 2008. It is ironic George Carlin - comedian of the 70's and 80's - could write something so very eloquent and so very appropriate. An observation by George Carlin: The paradox of our time in history is that we have taller buildings but shorter tempers, wider Freeways, but narrower viewpoints. We spend more, but have less, we buy more, but enjoy less. We have bigger houses and smaller families, more conveniences, but less time. We have more degrees but less sense, more knowledge, but less judgment, more experts, yet more problems, more medicine, but less wellness. We drink too much, smoke too much, spend too recklessly, laugh too little, drive too fast, get too angry, stay up too late, get up too tired, read too little, watch TV too much, and pray too seldom. We have multiplied our possessions, but reduced our values. We talk too much, love too seldom, and hate too often. We've learned how to make a living, but not a life. We've added years to life not life to years. We've been all the way to the moon and back, but have trouble crossing the street to meet a new neighbor. We conquered outer space but not inner space. We've done larger things, but not better things. We've cleaned up the air, but polluted the soul. We've conquered the atom, but not our prejudice. We write more, but learn less. We plan more, but accomplish less. We've learned to rush, but not to wait. We build more computers to hold more information, to produce more copies than ever, but we communicate less and less. These are the times of fast foods and slow digestion, big men and small character, steep profits and shallow relationships. These are the days of two incomes but more divorce, fancier houses, but broken homes. These are days of quick trips, disposable diapers, throwaway morality, one night stands, overweight bodies, and pills that do everything from cheer, to quiet, to kill. It is a time when there is much in the showroom window and nothing in the stockroom. A time when technology can bring this letter to you, and a time when you can choose either to share this insight, or to just hit delete. Remember to spend some time with your loved ones, because they are not going to be around forever. Remember, say a kind word to someone who looks up to you in awe, because that little person soon will grow up and leave your side. Remember, to give a warm hug to the one next to you, because that is the only treasure you can give with your heart and it doesn't cost a cent. Remember, to say, 'I love you' to your partner and your loved ones, but most of all mean it. A kiss and an embrace will mend hurt when it comes from deep inside of you. Remember to hold hands and cherish the moment for someday that person will not be there again. Give time to love, give time to speak! And give time to share the precious thoughts in your mind. And always remember, life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by those moments that take our breath away. George Carlin
L
That's what I'm doing in 2014. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Well done George.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts