Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just did a job and the owners husband had a large box of electrical connectors. I know i have seen them before but cant place where. If anyone knows what there called please let me know.

·
Super Moderator
11,965 Posts
I've seen my share of doo-dads, but I can't help with this one. Sorry. It does look like it could handle a fusing situation though. Where again did you find this?

·
Radical Basement Dweller
29,393 Posts
It looks like if the large rounded piece was pushed down towards the back piece, a wire or rod could be inserted under the smaller hooked piece. When the larger piece is let go, the tension would hold that wire or rod firmly in place.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Its a NASA string clip, I forget the patent # but it was devoloped to answer the question, how many balls of string does it take to reach the moon, 1 if its long enough, ha, ha, well the guys at NASA thought it was 3 so they invented the string clip and used 2 on the way to the moon, but the thing thats exciting they think it will take six clips to get to mars, even useing carbon fibre string.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
They are 1 1/8 " wide and 5/8 tall. The lady I did a job for had several bags of these in her garage and wanted to know what they were worth. I told her I didnt know but if I could find out anything I would let her know.
Fahnestock clips are definitely in the right ballpark. I will do some research and let her know.

·
Registered
1 Posts
wow these are old

the clips are for educational projects and anywhere you would be using a portable power supply. like on model trains or a knife throw switch that turns on a bulb in the class room. that is what they are for. the double one you have is used to connect wires together on a train setup. they are worth nothing except to a teacher or a hobbyist and then a bag of 10 is worth between 6 and 10 dollars. Maybe a ham radio operator might still use them as well. they have been replaced by the post and nob setup and the plastic push and insert setup found on the back of speakers and like items. It is interesting but not worth trying to resell since they have basically been phased out. If you know of a train museum they would take the donation and even give you a tax deductible slip for them and that would be a better financial gain then trying to sell them.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
They are 1 1/8 " wide and 5/8 tall. The lady I did a job for had several bags of these in her garage and wanted to know what they were worth. I told her I didnt know but if I could find out anything I would let her know.
Fahnestock clips are definitely in the right ballpark. I will do some research and let her know.
They are pretty much worthless.

·
Registered
9,569 Posts
They are spring connectors. Can be used for speakers or bell wire.
Correct, you push the spring down and slide the wire in from the side under that small hook. them release the spring and it holds wire in place. The were very common in the buzzers in old bell/buzzer systems in apt. buildings and in institutional sound/paging systems

1 - 19 of 19 Posts