Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,938 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
He has a 1913 Colonial house that he had drywall installed 6 months ago, forgetting that none of the exterior walls have insulation in them.

What can we do to resolve this issue?

Thanks,
Cole McConnell

·
Registered
378 Posts
Cole, being your in a cooling climate rather than a heating climate what is realy important is some sort of radiant barrier in the attic hence the popularity of refective radiant barrier sheathing in the southern us. Insulating the attic and crawl space to current code is probaly more than enough for the heating months as most heat is lost at the ceiling.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Berg's got some great info there, - - but I suppose if your customer really wanted to insulate the walls, - - you could 'hole-saw' through the drywall at the top of each bay (balloon framing??) and 'blow-in' insulation, - - then patch, or better yet, - - 'up-grade' to crown moldings.

·
Registered
378 Posts
True you could blow in insulation but it hard tell if the insulation has filled the wall cavity. Also you need to think about adding a vapor barrier.This can be done with a v/b interior paint ,but this may not be correct for your climate.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Good point, Berg, - - but there's generally relatively few obstacles with balloon framing.

I live in a 1905 Colonial where the insulation was 'blown-in', - - and the few rooms I've completely gutted so far had virtually 'no' blank spots. I removed it anyway 'cuz I ran new wiring and put new insulation with a vapor barrier.

But who knows, - - all homes are different.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Also, not too sure, but I would think the company blowing it in would have some kind of sensory equipment as part of their package, no??

·
Registered
378 Posts
Tom R said:
Also, not too sure, but I would think the company blowing it in would have some kind of sensory equipment as part of their package, no??
Tom, ive seem thermal imaging equipment used,but you would need to hire heating/cooling systems engineer. Unlikely your insulator would provide this service.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Alright, Berg, - - Plan B

'Visual'-imaging

Pull off the baseboards (usually wide in an old home), - - break out the hole saw again, - - and see if you can visualize the vermicularosity!! :cheesygri

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
They can spray foam through 1" holes and completely fill all cavities.

·
Registered
378 Posts
I still think insulating walls in a moderate climate like texas provides a minimal benifit as far as reducing the cooling load. This is not place with single digit winter temps.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Berg, I won't dispute your 'valid' point.

But I believe the question pertained to 'How he can', - - not 'Why he shouldn't'.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Depending on where you are in TX, it can be pretty hot and cold. Given where energy prices will soon be heading any insulation will be a good investment.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts