Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Ralph
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What am I missing? I have a Pro Blast pot that I converted with a Thompson Valve. Works great with everything from soda to garnet to New Age's Crushed Glass. I needed a more aggresive media and purchased a 30/70 Crushed Glass and no matter how I adjust the pressure and valve setting I am using two 50 Lb bag in 10 minutes. I know the New Age glass is a 40/70 mix and more consistent than the 30/70 glass but 100 lbs in 10 minutes???
I have also used the 30/70 glass in a pot that has a Thompson II with the same results???

·
Bob
512 Posts
Not sure what bushing you have in your valve (slotted or round?) but I've found that generally too much flow means your pot pressure is too high relative to your blast pressure or your media valve setting or both. Back off on your pot pressure until the flow leans out . . .

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
I have the same set up ( surface tek) also with the sloted bushing. I just went through two skids of 30/70 from lvh. I got about four bags an hour on average. Not sure what to tell you. My first thought is that you mentioned new age and I thought I saw the word "consistant" in the same sentence. They have in fact the least consistant media in the entire world. If you have some 30/70 from them it is likely that it is actually far larger than it should be so that you are forced to open the Tll too much. Perhaps get a couple of bags from another supplier regardless of where you got the 30/70 from and see if it's different.

·
Ralph
61 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What Am I Overlooking??????????

Sand Pot what blast pressure and pot pressure are you set at with the 30/70 crushed glass? The best flow I had was both at 80psi. Still going through 8 bags and hour.

Masterblast I have been using New Age Medium which I was told was a 40/70 and average 4 bags an hour. The LVH that is giving me so much trouble is 30/70. I can't imagine that should make that much difference. What blast and pot pressure are you set at? I'm located on Long Island, NY and get my LVH from ESCA in PA. Where are you getting yours?

A on a happier note I finished the job today and still have my shirt on my back.

·
Bob
512 Posts
30/70? Man, that could be tough to deal with, like shooting dirty rocks. That said, I'm typically runing my pot about 5psi higher than my blast

·
Glen
1,504 Posts
Srs , I get my 30/70 also from ESCA. You have a problem with your media valve. Just replace it and see what happens. If it's the same you will have a spare for when it does wear out. I keep my Surface Tek pot as high as I can most of the time. I have 130 at the compressor and about 100 at the pot and the hose up there around 90/95. I have shot skids of both New age 40/70 and LVH 30/70 with about the same results. Either side of four bags per hour. Nothing ever close to eight. So when you turn it down to nothing and then turn it up until some is coming out it is already art 8? from nothing to 8 in one turn? Did you look at the valve? It has to be just worn.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts