Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Looking back over the past 30 years, it seems like a dream, still not sure how it happened, did contracting find me, or did i find it? I remember hearing about a neighbor who needed a wine rack, along the side wall of a basement stair. I showed up, scoped it out, went to the local home center, bought 1x2 and 1x12, some glue ,nails, and screws, put it together in my mothers basement, then had to take it apart when it would not fit up the stairs:eek:. Then there is the tools, i walk out into my shop, and certain tools just feel different, your not sure how long, but you know they where purchased within the first 2 years, and they say, "yea i'm still here". The next memory is showing up to do 25 sq, 4 pitch roof job, (full rip) by yourself, So much energy and drive, that you would motor through it, long days, working alone, overtired and energized---LOVING THE PHYSICAL WORKOUT, loading the container just the way it should be, no room for one more piece of tar paper, you protected the driveway, you did a perfect job, all by yourself. Then all of a sudden there are 15 or so people, pulling you in 15 directions, you have completely ripped apart this giant house, and have tell everyone how to put it back together, most of what you need to, you know, some of it gets learned as you go, all the time showing full confidance, there is no choice, everyone is watching:thumbup:. So many doors, tile floors, windows, theatres, bottles of wood glue, shims, drywall screws (1 5/8'') mostly i think, nailsets (must have bought 200), saw blades, ext cords, customers ooo the customers. Know here i am doing the odd job, working on my own place, an extension here or there, a kitchen, a deck, moderating on a contractors site;) its all good, i loved most every minute of it. Maybe a neighbor will ask me for a winerack this week. Nathan, thanks for creating this site, Gene.

·
Carpe Diem
20,717 Posts
Someone dipped into the vino a bit tonight? :whistling:whistling

Seriously, it's contractors like you, Gene, that inspire guys like me. I've only been doing this about 7 years. I guess I have a long read ahead of me. ;)

·
Maker of fine kindling
6,199 Posts
I too have found myself reflecting recently.

I had a radial arm saw in the closet of my dorm room 30 years ago.:laughing: Those were the good ol days.

Now I look around and I am the oldest guy on just about every job and no way will my tools fit up in a third floor dorm room.:no:

Nice thread Gene, even if you were self medicating:thumbsup:

Reactions: genecarp

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
It's that time of the year. :laughing:

When looking back feels good,
you must be doing something right. :thumbsup:

·
Trailer park boy
4,802 Posts
Looking back over the past 30 years, it seems like a dream, still not sure how it happened, did contracting find me, or did i find it? I remember hearing about a neighbor who needed a wine rack, along the side wall of a basement stair. I showed up, scoped it out, went to the local home center, bought 1x2 and 1x12, some glue ,nails, and screws, put it together in my mothers basement, then had to take it apart when it would not fit up the stairs:eek:. Then there is the tools, i walk out into my shop, and certain tools just feel different, your not sure how long, but you know they where purchased within the first 2 years, and they say, "yea i'm still here". The next memory is showing up to do 25 sq, 4 pitch roof job, (full rip) by yourself, So much energy and drive, that you would motor through it, long days, working alone, overtired and energized---LOVING THE PHYSICAL WORKOUT, loading the container just the way it should be, no room for one more piece of tar paper, you protected the driveway, you did a perfect job, all by yourself. Then all of a sudden there are 15 or so people, pulling you in 15 directions, you have completely ripped apart this giant house, and have tell everyone how to put it back together, most of what you need to, you know, some of it gets learned as you go, all the time showing full confidance, there is no choice, everyone is watching:thumbup:. So many doors, tile floors, windows, theatres, bottles of wood glue, shims, drywall screws (1 5/8'') mostly i think, nailsets (must have bought 200), saw blades, ext cords, customers ooo the customers. Know here i am doing the odd job, working on my own place, an extension here or there, a kitchen, a deck, moderating on a contractors site;) its all good, i loved most every minute of it. Maybe a neighbor will ask me for a winerack this week. Nathan, thanks for creating this site, Gene.
Exactly the reason this is the best job in the world.:thumbup:

And why I will never give it up.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
Gene, I want to thank you for your enlightening post.

I have only been at this about 21 years and you know, it was kind of nice to reflect back on the projects, customers, and valued relationships that have been built. I even got out an old box of photos and looked at some long ago completed projects.

:notworthy

·
Super Moderator
11,936 Posts
Gene, I had to grin while I was reading your post early this morning before work.

We appreciate what you do here, and it's easy to get a little sentimental this time of year.

Thanks for sharing that post with us!

PS-I think Gene actually owns the thumbs up smiley. Every time I use it I think of him!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts