Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Started a service change today. I couldn't believe how effed up the existing one is.

No cover, and most of the circuits were just 'run in' through the front.

Oh, so THIS is how you ground NM!

Don't bother terminating grounds on the bar..... run 'em out the back or top, and tie 'em all together. Then run just ONE of 'em back to terminate correctly!

Grounding electrode wire: Cut off inside meter socket, split-bolted to a No. 14, and that runs into the panel.

Nice before-the-main tap. Must've been fun to do hot!

Someone had an "Oh, Shît!" moment.

Yeah, that ground wire is solidly terminated!

Think it got hot?

·
Registered
358 Posts
The block wall and floor system look relatively new.... how the hell did they get away with this?! how old is the house? :blink:

Im amazed it didnt burn down...

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The block wall and floor system look relatively new.... how the hell did they get away with this?! how old is the house? :blink:.....

I'm guessing '70's.

Im amazed it didnt burn down...
But wait! There's MORE! Wait until tomorrow... I still got more to do.

·
Registered
2,836 Posts
What do you do in cases such as this when you disconnect everything and position a new box and you do your best to put it in the best place, and some wires simply aren't long enough?

Do you put a junction box close by, maybe on either side, or what?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
What do you do in cases such as this when you disconnect everything and position a new box and you do your best to put it in the best place, and some wires simply aren't long enough?

Do you put a junction box close by, maybe on either side, or what?
If the NM will reach to the panel, I just splice 'em in the panel. Otherwise, I put in a 189 or 232 box, or if there's a lot of 'em, a 6x6.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
Color balance is a little off on those pics...

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
51,924 Posts
I don't see the problem. Is there a code violation somewhere in that rats nest?

:whistling

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As an electrician, is this easy money to you or would you rather be doing something else?
Easy, but time-consuming. Took all day to change the panel.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
Hey 480..... Just curious.....when you get a ratass mess like that on a service change, how far back do you go checking the branch circurts before you breaker them.....

Not so much from a legal liability(but that also), but when it's that crappy, can you feel decent just breakering them at the branch wire guage.

Not sure I know what I'm asking, but when you're likely suspect of the branch circuts etc, how do you personally approach that issue.

TIA

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,709 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hey 480..... Just curious.....when you get a ratass mess like that on a service change, how far back do you go checking the branch circurts before you breaker them.....

Not so much from a legal liability(but that also), but when it's that crappy, can you feel decent just breakering them at the branch wire guage.

Not sure I know what I'm asking, but when you're likely suspect of the branch circuts etc, how do you personally approach that issue.

TIA
All the original circuits get 15a breakers, regardless of the wire size. New circuits are sized to match the breaker & AWG.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts