Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The house I just moved into was reroofed five years ago with asphalt tile. It's been raining here (in Southern California) unusually hard--about ten days. I went into the attic and noticed that a lot of the skip sheathing and some of the framing is looking pretty dark in spots, as if it were wet. It's hard to tell by touch, but some spots defintely feel moist, too. Only one area of the roof is actually dripping so far--where the plywood decking on top of the sheathing is cut wide around a vent. So my question: Should the sheathing be bone-dry, or is it normal for water to get past the shingles and plywood and into the sheathing?

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Roofs are there to keep the water out. You definitely have a malfunction.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
Grumpy must still be ill, he'd be all over this.

·
Registered
41 Posts
MJS,

Hmmm....
Dark spots can be attributed to poor venting as well. S. CA. is usually dry with minimal rainfall. Now you just had more rain in 2 weeks than you get in a whole year which equals a lot of moisture in the air. If the venting in your attic isn't up to snuff, and the temps are cool, it can make discolorization due to condensation from temperature changes. I'm not saying thats your problem, but I have seen plenty of it happen up here at the opposite end of the state. As far as the vent goes, who knows without looking at the thing. Call the roofer who installed it.

Best regards

·
Commercial Roofing
1,220 Posts
Well,

Toaday we had melting snow, rain, dense fog, just a saturated atmosphere. On the outside of the house, the underside of all the eaves are moist with condensation. It lokks like roof leaks, I was thinking, to an untrained eye. The atmosphere is 100% humid and barometer dropping coupled with cool temps make it condense where there has never been water before. Maybe could be your case?

1 - 8 of 8 Posts