Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I had a deck package delivered this morning for a job starting tomorrow and we had a thunderstorm this afternoon before I could get the material covered up. How bad can I expect the boards to warp. It rained hard for about ten minutes and the top layer got completely soaked. Also should I wait for it to dry completely before install?

·
Artist and not a curator
14,320 Posts
You should have it stickered anyhow. I'm not that familiar with redwood but if its like most other domestics, as long as its flat, drying and acclimating, its still going to twist.:whistling

It shouldn't be a big problem as long as its stickered and flat with some air space. More depends on the grade of lumber than if it gets wet, unless there's something I don't know about redwood.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Just use it.

It's going to get rained on etc...

After you install it.....

I've dug it out of snow and put it down. In the ancient days all we used for decks was various grades of Redwood.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
You should have it stickered anyhow. I'm not that familiar with redwood but if its like most other domestics, as long as its flat, drying and acclimating, its still going to twist.:whistling

It shouldn't be a big problem as long as its stickered and flat with some air space. More depends on the grade of lumber than if it gets wet, unless there's something I don't know about redwood.
Sorry, I'm late to the party, but redwood does not twist, it will bow and warp, but it doesn't twist.

If it was normal green decking lumber, it's never going to get any wetter then the day you got it. It's also never going to look better then the day you got it.

Other then it is very soft, redwood is a great lumber to work with. Easy to straighten. Cut's and mills easily.

·
Premium Member
Retired deck builder
6,370 Posts
It's the most stable of all domestic woods used for decking & to this day my favorite to build decks with, just don't get to build many anymore.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts