Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
stacker of sticks
Joined
·
8,502 Posts
KennMacMoragh said:
I had that happen framing some condos a while back, had about an inch of water everywhere. All you can do is take the claw of your hammer and start poking holes in the floor. Make sure the building is dried out and moisture tested before adding any finished flooring. Patching the holes could be an issue but its worth it to get the floor to drain in my opinion, minimize the swelling. I don't get the people saying if you frame the floor properly it will drain, makes no sense. I framed about a thousand buildings, every one of them puddled water on the floor to a certain extent. Do you guys frame your houses crooked and slope the floor so it drains?
I just drill holes everywhere to let the water into the basement.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
We don't use osb for anything anymore. More for subdivision housing where quality is not the top priority. Some of the houses we build take four or five months to frame and the floor gets wet many times. Drilling holes is the way to go. As stated, there is no way osb would get soft in a few days unless it was already half rotten.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
594 Posts
KennMacMoragh said:
I don't get the people saying if you frame the floor properly it will drain, makes no sense. I framed about a thousand buildings, every one of them puddled water on the floor to a certain extent. Do you guys frame your houses crooked and slope the floor so it drains?
All 3/4 t&g osb flooring we use has notches in the tongue that form weep holes when installed. If you beat the piss out of the sheets with a sledge hammer, you close up the holes and stop the draining. Granted this is all theory and we all know the real world doesn't always work out that way. Regardless of holes or not, water should not be sitting on the cap like his pics show for two days.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,977 Posts
SAcarpenter said:
All 3/4 t&g osb flooring we use has notches in the tongue that form weep holes when installed. If you beat the piss out of the sheets with a sledge hammer, you close up the holes and stop the draining. Granted this is all theory and we all know the real world doesn't always work out that way. Regardless of holes or not, water should not be sitting on the cap like his pics show for two days.
Oh, guess I haven't seen that, but good idea.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
35 Posts
around here plywood is for floors, osb for sheething. Anything else is a code violation because well, osb doesn't do well with standing water and people end up falling through. But different codes for different locations I guess.

But yeah, if you can push a nail through by hand... that doesn't sound like just 2 days of rain. Now chip board, remember chip board? They still sell chip board over there?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
534 Posts
The weep holes are a great idea but in reality sawdust blocks them up very quickly. Even 1 inch holes we drill get plugged and have to be constantly reopened to keep the water off the floor.
 

·
stacker of sticks
Joined
·
8,502 Posts
jferrie said:
around here plywood is for floors, osb for sheething. Anything else is a code violation because well, osb doesn't do well with standing water and people end up falling through. But different codes for different locations I guess. But yeah, if you can push a nail through by hand... that doesn't sound like just 2 days of rain. Now chip board, remember chip board? They still sell chip board over there?
That's pretty ignorant seeing plywood is garbage and there are some osb products that are far superior to any plywood
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,079 Posts
That's pretty ignorant seeing plywood is garbage and there are some osb products that are far superior to any plywood
I used nothing but 3/4 T&G DF. I don't think I would call that garbage.
Personally I don't think there is anything better than that out there.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
16,403 Posts
Advantech is the best in this situation. Tape the joints too if its sitting for long periods and drill a few drain holes in each board and at worst you have to grind flat a area the size of your hand. Plywood delaminates around here if you dribble on it. I left a piece of 15/32" exterior ply in a light but of drizzle on Friday. It ended up having a 4" curve in it and started to delaminate after just a day. Def wouldn't use that on something that could have weeks worth of water.
 

·
Artist and not a curator
Joined
·
13,462 Posts
I had masons laying laying block off of the advatech floor... Cubes of block, mud out the wazoo, water constantly from floating, and the days of rain. I think I grinded one spot that I didn't drill a hole in out of about 1200 sq ft.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,079 Posts
Advantech is the best in this situation. Tape the joints too if its sitting for long periods and drill a few drain holes in each board and at worst you have to grind flat a area the size of your hand. Plywood delaminates around here if you dribble on it. I left a piece of 15/32" exterior ply in a light but of drizzle on Friday. It ended up having a 4" curve in it and started to delaminate after just a day. Def wouldn't use that on something that could have weeks worth of water.
That sounds like SYP not DF.
 

·
Focusing on solutions.
Hardwood floors/custom cabinets
Joined
·
5,716 Posts
I haven't used it. It looks like OSB coated with plastic or wax.

Don't knock it till ya try it, then thank us later once you do.

I lay a lot of hardwood in new const. As has already been mentioned, plywood gets wet & delaminates. Regular OSB swells when wet. Both mean I have prep work before I can lay hardwood. Advantech, no matter how wet it got, I walk in, clean & start putting down boards. That's extra money in my pocket because I don't have to deal with as much prep work.:thumbsup:
 

·
Artist and not a curator
Joined
·
13,462 Posts
Don't knock it till ya try it, then thank us later once you do.

I lay a lot of hardwood in new const. As has already been mentioned, plywood gets wet & delaminates. Regular OSB swells when wet. Both mean I have prep work before I can lay hardwood. Advantech, no matter how wet it got, I walk in, clean & start putting down boards. That's extra money in my pocket because I don't have to deal with as much prep work.:thumbsup:
Not to mention advantech is competitively priced and has markings even your green guy can nail down.
 

·
Texan
Joined
·
278 Posts
Those pics look like 7/16 osb and not t&g. If this is the case then wow.
I thought the same...I think that is just where the edges are swollen above the surface......(But still not T&G)
 

·
Drywall Slave
Joined
·
9,441 Posts
It'll be fine, but you'll have to grind the swelled edges before flooring goes down. Next time, use advantech & you won't have that swelling.
I shop-vac on sand day..I love the advantech but some builders won't pay the cost.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1 Posts
i usually crown the beams around 3/8 " or so while building.... makes water run down hill... and makes partitions fit tight...when i set columbs... i usuallu still stay about a 1/4 high
 
21 - 40 of 42 Posts
Top