Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
DavidC
2,550 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have an Alpha vsp - 120 wet grinder purchased new this summer. After less than 24 hours working time it quit. First symptoms were that it would stop and start while using it but then wouldn't run. The GFCI tripped whenever I hit the switch.

Took it apart and found one of the brushes had worn at a angle and the commutator was dirty. I reshaped the brush and cleaned the commutator. Reassembled and it worked just fine.

Back to work with it and used it about 1 1/2 hours with out incident. Shut it off, took a break and went back to the same problem. No start and the GFCI trips. Took it apart again, brushes ok this time but the commutator was even dirtier than the first time. Cleaned it and it seems to work fine.

Just wondering if anyone else with this grinder has a similar problem.

Good Luck
Dave

·
Banned
39 Posts
That sucks! I have a Hellcat ??? something, that I have had for 3 years that worked great up till about 2 months ago... It would randomly not want to start when you flipped the switch. After I did a basic tune up,... banging on it from every angle, it now works but over heats. I have no help for you but have had really worry free use out of mine till recent.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts