Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
530 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there. Has anyone used antifreeze coolant for cutting tile? I have a tile job where I need to set up the tile saw in an unheated space.

In the past I've just used hot water but its a pita.

I guess the biggest concern would be a chem reaction with mortar, or creating a film on the tile preventing adhesion. The tile is porcelain.

Just curious if its been Done successfully.

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
Hey there. Has anyone used antifreeze coolant for cutting tile? I have a tile job where I need to set up the tile saw in an unheated space.

In the past I've just used hot water but its a pita.

I guess the biggest concern would be a chem reaction with mortar, or creating a film on the tile preventing adhesion. The tile is porcelain.

Just curious if its been Done successfully.
If it's just propylene glycol or something equally safe, I don't see any health issue; are the other ingredients (colors, etc.) safe to breathe?

Tile saws are fine getting wet and drying out. Is propylene glycol going to dry out the same, or will you be gumming up your saw?

How will you clean the tiles afterward?

I suppose I'd try to solve the hot water problem - hot plates are cheap enough.

·
I'm a Mac
5,487 Posts
I would just set up in a warm area, I used to tarp everything, mop up all excess water at the end of the day and then the following day the residue moisture had evaporated and tarps would be dry, albeit dirty, dry that you could fold them up and get them out without leaving a mess.

·
Thread Killer
185 Posts
I run a large fish tank heater (about 500w) and it works pretty well. Its not going to keep the water at 70-80 degrees but it will keep it from freezing on me.

I run the cord for the pump all day so the water stays circulating instead of having the pump come on when you flip the switch. The saw is a D24000. (The only yellow tool I own :nuke:)

·
Registered
2,523 Posts
If I can't wet cut in the remodelled space, I set up in the garage. Bucket heater with water continously flowing. I don't leave bucket heater on constantly though. Like all ready said, the water will boil. I also have thick rubber gloves for cutting.

I also bring an electric heater and point it towards my saw area. At least I THINK I'm warm.

I know some guys add anti freeze or winter windshield wiper fluid. I don't know if it interfers with thinset bond but I don't want to find out the hard way.

·
bathroom guru
1,348 Posts
I've found the best way to avoid frozen hands is to bring a helper with me! Tell them it "builds character". Seriously though, my hands are bad enough. If I can't set up in a warm space (which is usually a garage with heater), I leave the wet saw at the shop.

1 - 20 of 48 Posts