Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am doing a 14000 sq.ft custom home in West TX and am looking for an electrician. All the local electricians are busy and way overpriced for the work they do. I see the electrical posts in these forums - and the guys here in West TXhave no idea about the newest and latest electrical things. No offense - but just because you have a truck and a TX electrical license - doesnt mean you are good to do a custom home . I am amazed at how qualified and knowledgeable the electricians on this forum are.

I see so many qualified and knowledgeable electricians posting on these forums. It is rather unfortunate that we have to deal with the incompetent electricians out here in West TX.

My query is - would electricians from out of town [say within Texas - like Dallas or Houston/Austin ] be OK to do this ; and even out of state providers ??

Thanks. If you have any suggestions/advise , please do post !!

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,983 Posts
When are you breaking ground? I might be able to schedule you in.

·
Super Moderator
24,787 Posts
Curious what the newest & latest electrical things you might be referring to.

Does your custom have lighting, security, equipment and/or environmental control systems?

Do your local guys not understand what you want?

·
Registered
8,240 Posts
Where in west Texas, that description covers a lot of ground. As far as your question about a contractor from another area goes, any contractor with a license issued by TDLR would be able to pull a permit. Your city may require them to register (pay a fee) to work there.

Griz - I am sure there are many capable EC's in the area. From my understanding though the oil field business is keeping everyone busy, and making substantial more money than stringing romex.

·
Electrical Contractor
214 Posts
I am doing a 14000 sq.ft custom home in West TX and am looking for an electrician. All the local electricians are busy and way overpriced for the work they do.
Was there anything else after that? I seem to have zoned out. :whistling :laughing:

What are you willing to pay for travel time?

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,983 Posts
Seems the OP has pulled up stakes and moved on.

That, or he's too busy at Home Depot asking the staff there how to wire a house............

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,556 Posts
Could you give him a break and do the work for 15/hr. It's w texas after all.

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,556 Posts
At woodweb.com they had a thread going on how much to charge for this kitchen. Most of the New England people priced it out at 16-21K and the Texas guys priced it out at 5K to 7K.

Pretty close to the materials cost on the lower end of their bids. I don't know how they could do it (illegal alien crews I suppose)

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,983 Posts
Yea, right after you do the cabinets for $20/ft.....:laughing::laughing:
If I gotta do electrical by the square foot, then cabinets should be by the gallon. :laughing:

Then again, maybe this house isn't in west TX. It may be in West, TX, which is really in the east half.

Reactions: Speedy Petey

·
Registered
53 Posts
With the OP's attitude , everyone may have " over priced " as a way of saying no , I do not want to work for you .

I know I am way behind the times on all the zip - bang high tech stuff for high end residential .

Personally , as long as we have enough commercial work to do , I try to keep as far away from residential as I can get .

And in commercial work , there are several GC's that I try to stay away from .

God bless
Wyr

·
Administrator
Maker of Fine Sawdust
55,556 Posts
I have an attitude? I asked here, got some answers. Brought it to my GCs attention and he got some answers. He told me that my placement would be fine. So far I haven't heard back that what I did wasn't accepted by the inspector.

Just because I think electrical outlets showing in fine cabinets is ugly doesn't mean I have an attitude. And just because the codes that dictate where outlets can or cannot be doesn't mean its the best way. As I am sure you know just because it is code doesn't make it more safe. It just makes it code compliant.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts