Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 34 of 34 Posts
How are you cleaning up the treads? Planer, drum sander, widebelt sander, random orbit sander?

Had to go back quite a few posts to find that, thanks.

Discussion starter · #24 ·
How are you cleaning up the treads? Planer, drum sander, widebelt sander, random orbit sander?
I can see you have your answer but let me tell you, it planed very well. The resin does not get hard. The bottom of the boards are covered with resin and I was nervous the first time it went into my planer but it milled very nicely.

I installed some older blades I had for my portable planer but after seeing how easy it cuts, next time I will leave good knifes in. This would save me time since I would not have to sand the marks my crapy old knifes left behind.

I don't know how well it would go thru a sander. Since the resin stays pliable, I wonder if it would clog the paper up. I am sure other could answer this question.

Dave

I'm surprised that it was still not hard hard. My experience is that it gets very hard and will sand to a powder.

Discussion starter · #27 ·
I'm surprised that it was still not hard hard. My experience is that it gets very hard and will sand to a powder.
It was fully cured. It set for 24 hours before I worked on it. It was hard to the touch but when I pealed the left over resin out of the pot I mixed it in, you could bend it around to a degree without it snapping. This is what I mean by pliable. Is this not the case normally?

It came out of the planer like wood shavings and not like dust.

Dave

It should dry rigid and non flexible. I always say it you hit it with the hammer it will dent the hammer.

It was fully cured. It set for 24 hours before I worked on it. It was hard to the touch but when I pealed the left over resin out of the pot I mixed it in, you could bend it around to a degree without it snapping. This is what I mean by pliable. Is this not the case normally?

It came out of the planer like wood shavings and not like dust.

Dave
A thin layer will retain some flexibility this is normal.

Discussion starter · #32 ·
Curved treads went in without incident. I was a little concerned that when I made the cuts to get them over the 4x4s that suport the railings something would come apart but this was not the case.

Wood Plywood Hardwood Wood stain Floor

The posts will suport framing and plywood. The balustrade is actually a shingled wall. I have about a mile of weaving to do on the sidewall. uggg
Wood Plywood Hardwood Wood stain Automotive exterior

All I have left to do is bung the holes and install the cove molding. On the main deck I used a urethane glue to set the bungs. would the West System work well for this?
Wood Wood stain Hardwood Plywood Floor

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.