Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Administrator
Community Manager
5,045 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
highschooltrades-lge.jpg

Every parent hopes their child will be successful in life; this, of course, includes a job that pays a decent income. For many parents, this equates to sending Jack and Jill off to college so they can become a lawyer, doctor, accountant or even an engineer or a teacher. But why can’t Jack and Jill become carpenters? Or plumbers, electricians or some other kind of laborer that this country needs? To some, going into these trades is considered a form of failure. “Jack couldn’t hack college, so he became a plumber instead.” [URL="https://www.contractortalk.com/articles/2019/03/should-high-school-graduates-consider-the-trades-why/"]Should High School Graduates Consider the Trades? Why?[/URL]
Were you encouraged or discouraged to enter the trades? If your kid wanted to enter the trades would you encourage or discourage them?

·
John the Builder
16,993 Posts
As a kid and on thru my young adult years?

nope.

·
Super Moderator
25,997 Posts
A self employed contractor was the coolest job to me. Carpentry, running equipment, running men, making business deals and controlling your schedule and income was very appealing

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
25,997 Posts
If they were mechanically inclined and high mental and physical energy id encourage.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Remodel
26,681 Posts
I was encouraged to learn a trade and keep learning. I'd encourage people to learn a trade if they have an interest.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
I was not encouraged. The opposite actually. I can remember my mom saying (yelling), "What are you going to do? Go drink beer with the Blankenship brothers."

It worked out.

I still encourage my son to find a different career. If he can find something with a pension, benefits, paid vacation. In the long run, he would be better off. He doesn't listen. Too much like his dad.

·
test
3,322 Posts
I would have to fight with my mother to let me go to work with my father on the weekends.
Then working with my father he always said. "stay in school and go to univeristy, then you won't have to do this"
Should have listened to him... haha
luckily the demand for trades changed from the 90s.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
390 Posts
my dad loved being a carpenter/contractor , and wanted me to do the same.
he made me work weekends with him , and summers .
didn`t push me to go to college.
i`ve done it all my life

i did the opposite with my son.
we bought them ( son , and daughter ) college funds when they were only a few years old
son only worked with me a few times , and he didn't like it at all.
that was fine

seems like its a left over trade for most ,
" didn't go to school , and never had a direction or out of prison , or was into drugs too long .
so this is where they end up.

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Yes. But my parents were pretty encouraging about anything I set my mind to.

·
Registered
100 Posts
No, I was encouraged to go to college after high school because that's what everyone does. That was a mess of 3 changed majors, finally got a degree after 5 years in Technical Education. Taught school for 10 years while starting my business on the side. Been self employed for 4 years now. Wish I would have just got an associate degree in business from the community college. Or went to technical college.

I encourage my kids to do what they love and what interests them. I've also taken over 50 kids to tour the local technical college over the years and have numerous past students that have went and received degrees from there in welding, diesel, heavy equipment, carpentry, etc...

My son wants to go there to become a plumber. I'm also encouraging him to get a business degree to make life easier !

Sent from my SM-S903VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,268 Posts
I was encouraged to go to university. Both my parents and my older sister have business degrees. I did about 2-1/2 years of engineering till the university messed up my paper work and wouldn’t let me take classes for a semester. Found something to do in that time to keep busy and never went back.

When I look back now I was never happy at school and would have hated sitting at a desk. Did give me some good math skills and problem solving.

Both of my boys will be encouraged to go to school doesn’t have to be university but some school to help them learn to think and give them time to decide where they want there lives to take them.

( My wife is a school teacher with a 6 year degree that I gladly paid for)

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
I was discouraged from doing a trade
my whole family is teachers and college was what you need to do to make a living is what they said
it was not for me, I worked for a few different companies right out of high school, the went out on my own when I was 22
I think there will be a good future for the trades, so I would have no problem with my kids doing it if they like

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
My parents both have University degrees that they don't use...I followed in their footsteps and didn't heed their advice.

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

·
water re-locater
7,511 Posts
Always knew I was gonna work with my dad. I’m a 3rd generation tradesman, though my grandfather never owned his own business but was bad ass craftsman.

Watched him pass away penniless and my father died in debt so didn’t want to break the family tradition with a real job. I did go to college for a few years majoring in keg stands and bong hits.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
GC/carpenter
GC/Carpenter
41,075 Posts
My kids are right where I want them to be in life. My father was a contractor, the reason I got a life sentence.

Mike.

·
Registered
4,865 Posts
Nope I was just born that way, as a kid I used to take things apart just to see how they were made.

·
Focusing on solutions.
5,406 Posts
I grew up with hard working parents who ran their own businesses. They instilled those work ethics in us kids. In my senior year of high school, I spent 3 of 6 hours in the school wood shop every day.

I'm not sure I was encouraged to go into a specific trade, but I was always encouraged to solve my own problems. Now not only do I solve my own problems, I get to make a good living solving other peoples problems.

24 years into running my own show, I'm quite certain I'd make a terrible employee.

Today, every young man that asks my opinion, I tell them, it's a great time to get into the trades, but take some business courses so you understand the financial end of possibly running your own show.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts