Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
We put ours right under the top plates. We've re-framed so many openings higher that it just makes sense for us. Also, if a homeowner ever wants to change the window size, I've done my due diligence to help in the process.

·
Registered
4,858 Posts
I've always seen and installed them at the door head height. But it does make sense to me to push them up.
I've seen them both ways and also, the header is sometimes sandwiched top/bottom w/a 2by. No idea why.

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
CO762 said:
I've seen them both ways and also, the header is sometimes sandwiched top/bottom w/a 2by. No idea why.
My feelings exactly

Reactions: CO762

·
Ciaos mitigator
1,943 Posts
Worked on a house once where the headers on the main level were in the rim joists. All lvls with the tgi's hangered off them. The windows on that level were very tall with transoms in them so they were only like 6-8" from the ceiling.
Only time i ever saw them like that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Its 50/50 around me. I think its just personal pref. I have always put them at the top of the ro. Typ trip. 2x10 w/ 1/2 ply sandwiched between each (2×6 wall). I also have in the past put a 2x on the bottom of the header for that extra, just in case, wiggle room if need be. I agree with warren I do this because I believe its more structrually sound then all the way at the plate with long jacks.

·
Design Build
7,225 Posts
I've done them all kinds of ways...........I like the pushed up way best...........but I tend to overbuild everything anyways.

I figure if it lasts longer, then its "green" in its own lifespan kind of way.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
Worked on a house once where the headers on the main level were in the rim joists. All lvls with the tgi's hangered off them. The windows on that level were very tall with transoms in them so they were only like 6-8" from the ceiling.
Only time i ever saw them like that.
i have did a few the same way for the same reasons but it has been a long time.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts