Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just went over to toolguyd and come across this. If this is true it looks like Makita has given the middle finger to most of us with tools more than 1-2 years old.

image-3351923563.jpg

So basically my

Impact
2 drills
Sds
Recip saw
Saw
Jigsaw
Grinder
Radio
Drywall gun
Angle drill
Flash lights

Won't accept the new battery's. that better not be the case as I'm gonna be pissed. There's no reason other than them making you buy new sets of tools if this is true.

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It would be so bad if the tools were a redesign but they are exactly the same tools with just different basses. I guess I could modify the base if they don't fit. None of my mates who have these battery's have the older bases on their tools so they have no idea either. Guess I'm gonna have to try it my self.

·
Registered
7,365 Posts
It would be so bad if the tools were a redesign but they are exactly the same tools with just different basses. I guess I could modify the base if they don't fit. None of my mates who have these battery's have the older bases on their tools so they have no idea either. Guess I'm gonna have to try it my self.
You'd have to find out why the base is different. Could it be an internal electronics tweak that makes it not compatible and the base is a safety measure so newer packs don't fry the older tools?

·
Registered
16,392 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't see any reason as to why the batteries being a higher amp hr would hurt the older tools. They are exactly the same tools with different bases. If it was an increase in voltage I could understand but increasing the AH dies nothing except give longer run times. Now if they bought out a brand new range like dewalt did that would kind of answer that question but they didnt.

I noticed the yellow base with no star has 2 contacts yet the other bases have 3 contacts. So if the yellow one with no star works why not the black on with no star? Both have 2 contacts. I'm hoping they just say this hoping that most people will just upgrade their tools instead if checking it fits and runs. I have been holing out for the 4.0ah batteries for ages and then they say this!

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
BCConstruction said:
I can't see any reason as to why the batteries being a higher amp hr would hurt the older tools. They are exactly the same tools with different bases. If it was an increase in voltage I could understand but increasing the AH dies nothing except give longer run times. Now if they bought out a brand new range like dewalt did that would kind of answer that question but they didnt.

I noticed the yellow base with no star has 2 contacts yet the other bases have 3 contacts. So if the yellow one with no star works why not the black on with no star? Both have 2 contacts. I'm hoping they just say this hoping that most people will just upgrade their tools instead if checking it fits and runs. I have been holing out for the 4.0ah batteries for ages and then they say this!
I feel your maktia pain. I think they had such a good run with the current platform that they had to change it up to get new sales. To force us to buy another set of tools that will fit the new batteries.

·
Registered
2,193 Posts

As BC points out, maybe that extra terminal is a feedback type thing for charging efficiecy/control.... and will still work fine on the tool.

I'm Makita battery free:clap:

·
diplomat
5,292 Posts
Is the protection circuitry in the tools now so they can make the batteries for cheaper?

And theoretically, certain higher amp hour batteries COULD harm tools if they can deliver more amps. I believe Makita is using Sony us18650vtc4 cells which are capable of delivering 30 amps, so 60 since there are two sets of 5. That could fry non-protected tools when stalled.

·
topsail's trimcat
5,026 Posts
im in the same boat as you guys. .i bought a 3pc makita kit a year ago.. ill have to check if their compatible.. if not ill be upgrading to a new kit when this current one dies.. i average about 2 years out of kits

·
Registered
1,292 Posts
"Best" is subjective in most cases. Can you show me another cordless lineup as comprehensive as Makita? Festool and Hilti sure don't offer one.
Depends what trade your in, Milwaukee panders to industrial and commercial Electricians and HVAC for cordless tools, they just released a knockout punch set up for steel studs. That being said I would buy a dual M18 chainsaw if Milwaukee made one.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts