Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
21 - 36 of 36 Posts

·
Future Post Deleter...
1,895 Posts
You adjust to the cold. I'd prefer to work in the cold opposed to sweating.

Was just out splitting wood, stripped down to a T-shirt and my head was steaming.

The summer is only good for gardening and skanks wearing skanky clothes.

·
Boondockian
1,482 Posts
maybe 16 right now, wind chill -10, and no, we ain't working.
Freezing my azz off at 34 this morning. This is ridiculous. I cant be expected to produce in these conditions!
How in the hell do y'all work outside in sub-zero conditions.

We were at 12 degrees Fahrenheit a few mornings ago, so I let the guys hang around the shop until the temp got to about 25. They still complained, lol.
You guys contractors or wimps:whistling? Time to man up and get the job done.

We're either manly, desperate, or stupid... haven't quite figured that out yet.
I vote for manly...:jester:

Reactions: Mississippi

·
Phd
85 Posts
You adjust to the cold. I'd prefer to work in the cold opposed to sweating.

Was just out splitting wood, stripped down to a T-shirt and my head was steaming.

The summer is only good for gardening and skanks wearing skanky clothes.
I'm just the opposite. I'd rather sweat any day than shiver.

Not a fan of cold weather, at all.

We've had the coldest January on record this year. This time last week we had freezing rain and sleet which accumulated an inch or so and then a morning low of 12 freakin' degrees.

I live 45 miles North of the Gulf of Mexico. It just ain't supposed to be that cold down here.

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Mississippi said:
I'm just the opposite. I'd rather sweat any day than shiver. Not a fan of cold weather, at all. We've had the coldest January on record this year. This time last week we had freezing rain and sleet which accumulated an inch or so and then a morning low of 12 freakin' degrees. I live 45 miles North of the Gulf of Mexico. It just ain't supposed to be that cold down here.
The difference is when you work in the cold and keep busy your body warms up. It's just motivating yourself to do something in the cold that's the hard part

·
Hack
3,250 Posts
What do you guys do to keep your hands warm? Made it all the way to 2 degrees today... -7 now.
Double up on gloves.
One quality liner that doesn't inhibit dexterity, and one good outer glove that doesn't limit dexterity. I don't use the liners pictured...but getting them (liners) from a climbing supply store has worked for me. For outers I prefer to wear a lined deerskin glove...and keep a spare pair handy.

·
Builder
34,273 Posts
You guys contractors or wimps:whistling? Time to man up and get the job done.

I vote for manly...:jester:
Out of this group, I have never missed a day of work because of heat or cold. :thumbsup:

It gets cold here sometimes:whistling

I did rollit up early at 18 degrees :laughing:

You yankees are some tough SOBs... (-) means : :censored: this :laughing:

·
Builder
34,273 Posts
The difference is when you work in the cold and keep busy your body warms up. It's just motivating yourself to do something in the cold that's the hard part
I bet yall can see a southerner from a mile away up there about right now. Face all cracked up and chapped :no:

·
stacker of sticks
8,502 Posts
Jaws said:
I bet yall can see a southerner from a mile away up there about right now. Face all cracked up and chapped :no:
We got over a foot of snow today, I was stuck behind a f150 with Georgia plates doing 5 in a 45. I passed him as soon as I could safely, and right behind me a Prius passed him. I was laughing so hard

·
Retired Moderator
24,786 Posts
Ya, they are all bundled up like it's cold outside....:whistling:laughing:

47 for a high today on the coast, but the dam wind and damp air blows right through you...:censored:

·
Builder
34,273 Posts
We got over a foot of snow today, I was stuck behind a f150 with Georgia plates doing 5 in a 45. I passed him as soon as I could safely, and right behind me a Prius passed him. I was laughing so hard
That old boy picked the wrong time of year to come visiting :laughing:

·
Hair Splitter
18,337 Posts
Freezing my azz off at 34 this morning. This is ridiculous. I cant be expected to produce in these conditions!
My aunt in the DFW area and my sister in Weatherford were posting yesteday about the fact that they are missing the normal Texas winter. I'll take your abnormal winter any day. 34 and we wouldn't be wearing coats or gloves and feeling like we hit the jackpot.

When I get up and head out it's supposed to be 0 and by tomorrow night -5. And after a few weeks ago when we had -40-50 degree days, that even feels okay.

21 - 36 of 36 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.