Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 Express picked up a lifter tick sometime back and last week it had enough. Fired it up one morning to go to work and I thought I had a old diesel it was so bad. After letting it warm up hoping the lifter would pump up it was time to go. Let'er buck. After about 15 miles it quieted down, but ever morning clack,clack,clack.

Well today I sent her off to the shop to breath some fresh air into the old gal (not the wife). Had the shop order up a new Jasper engine to the tune of $3245.00 and the out the door price with install just at 6K. Ouch. It had the tranny changed out at 150K and figure I've got another 70K easy on that.

Looked at other rigs over last weekend and pickin's were slim and prices high. Mileage too. Oh well next week I'll have her back, fresh. :clap:

·
Want to play a game?
4,522 Posts
Always a tough call when you have something that works for you and then it needs thousands of dollars to keep it. Thinking if it is worth it or not. But in the end the possibility of ending up with someone else's problems is there if you buy another used one.

What is the deal with the Jasper engines? Do they just take out the flaws that the manufacturer has?

·
Registered
358 Posts
Might sound foolish but I wonder if replacing the heads would have been cheaper? Or is the bottom end pretty shot as well?

I guess 6k beats the hell out of payments on a new one

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Always a tough call when you have something that works for you and then it needs thousands of dollars to keep it. Thinking if it is worth it or not. But in the end the possibility of ending up with someone else's problems is there if you buy another used one.

What is the deal with the Jasper engines? Do they just take out the flaws that the manufacturer has?
It was a tough call thats a good chunk of cash. The Jasper engines are remanufactured to OEM specs. I've toured the company and am familiar with their products (Trans. in wifes Explorer, 351W in old Ford Van). One of the best warranties. Gas, diesel, LPG, car, truck, boat. Nation wide service.

Might sound foolish but I wonder if replacing the heads would have been cheaper? Or is the bottom end pretty shot as well?

I guess 6k beats the hell out of payments on a new one
According to the book you have to pull the heads anyhow. I was thinking of just surfacing the heads to make them flat and not doing the valve job. The valve job could make the motor to tight and a chance of blowing out the rings. The cost to replace the lifters and surface the heads was $2700.00 providing the camshaft was good and so on and so $$$$$$$$$$. You can get from 2700 to 6000 real fast when parts are worn out. At least all my engine parts are new and not worn out. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
358 Posts
Hardly Working said:
According to the book you have to pull the heads anyhow. I was thinking of just surfacing the heads to make them flat and not doing the valve job. The valve job could make the motor to tight and a chance of blowing out the rings. The cost to replace the lifters and surface the heads was $2700.00 providing the camshaft was good and so on and so $$$$$$$$$$. You can get from 2700 to 6000 real fast when parts are worn out. At least all my engine parts are new and not worn out. :thumbsup:
Oh well that makes sense... I would have made the same choice! good point on the valve job too

·
Registered
258 Posts
My 04 Express picked up a lifter tick sometime back and last week it had enough. Fired it up one morning to go to work and I thought I had a old diesel it was so bad. After letting it warm up hoping the lifter would pump up it was time to go. Let'er buck. After about 15 miles it quieted down, but ever morning clack,clack,clack.

Well today I sent her off to the shop to breath some fresh air into the old gal (not the wife). Had the shop order up a new Jasper engine to the tune of $3245.00 and the out the door price with install just at 6K. Ouch. It had the tranny changed out at 150K and figure I've got another 70K easy on that.

Looked at other rigs over last weekend and pickin's were slim and prices high. Mileage too. Oh well next week I'll have her back, fresh. :clap:
Why not grab a used LS engine?

I had a 99 ram van. 2 new trannys and a blown motor all in 119k. I scrapped it in 09. The one and only dodge for me. Never again
Sounds like neglect on your part.

·
Electrical Punk...
571 Posts

Nice, I have an 04, F250 157,006 miles and have no plans on buying new, no payments is good...:clap:

·
Registered
585 Posts
I like seeing people do this... Even from a "tree hugging" point of view the longer you keep something on the road the better. Building new vehicles isn't exactly good for the environment.

I think it makes financial sense most of the time aswell, if the body and frame are still good $6000 sure beats $30,000+ for a brand new one, which will depreciate like crazy and still have some maintenance/repair issues that warranties don't cover... I just think many are itching for that new car smell.

I'm really trying to get 500,000km or better out of my 05 cummins.

·
I like Green things
23,034 Posts
You have a really expensive mechanic.

I had the heads done, new lifters, distributor, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, timing chain set, new radiator, all new AC components, wires, basically everything redone except the short block on my 99 454 for 2500 bucks.

A set of lifters is like 80 bucks

·
DPDT, Momentarily on
718 Posts
Jasper is one of the best reman outfits in the country. Their plant is near surgical clean. They go through every part of a unit and not only replace almost all moving parts, they upgrade a lot of stuff, too.

Back in my parts counterman days we sold them with very few issues.

One example: we sold a tech a Ford 302 for an 80's model Crown Vic. A couple of months later the tech tells us the car came back with a tick. We started the warranty process with a phone call. In the meantime the tech tracked down the problem and found a broken rocker arm. He told us he'd be happy with a new rocker and a labor claim for his time. Jasper rep said nope, that's not good enough. Gave him another reman long block and full labor to swap them. Thats tough to beat.

I've sold about 5 different brands of reman stuff and had lots of troubles with all others, except Jasper.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Or it was a pile of crap like all dodges
You have never owned "All Dodges" you have owned one.

I actually take care of my vehicles,
Clearly you didn't. Two transmissions in 119k is the Owner/Mechanic not the design. You blew up a motor at 119k which block and heads dates back to the 60s. A similar design to motors that were beat on in Muscle cars.

The question is who gets 2 transmissions done and doesn't go back to the source to complain? Sounds like a crock.

·
Wood Craftsman
7,324 Posts
Well,well..........
Am I seeing things......:blink:

Was that D that posted..........I think you had a New Years resolution not to get wrapped up into this place.....

Looks to me like you caved.............:laughing:

Nice to see you back on D,;)

Prick..........

·
Registered
2,910 Posts
Millworker said:
You have never owned "All Dodges" you have owned one. Clearly you didn't. Two transmissions in 119k is the Owner/Mechanic not the design. You blew up a motor at 119k which block and heads dates back to the 60s. A similar design to motors that were beat on in Muscle cars. The question is who gets 2 transmissions done and doesn't go back to the source to complain? Sounds like a crock.
My 2001 dodge truck is on its 3rd tranny in 127,000 miles. I don't have any trailers and never been off a paved road. And 3 different tranny shops to. I'm used to it. $1800 every 50,000 miles. Cheaper then a truck payment .

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
Gary H said:
My 2001 dodge truck is on its 3rd tranny in 127,000 miles. I don't have any trailers and never been off a paved road. And 3 different tranny shops to. I'm used to it. $1800 every 50,000 miles. Cheaper then a truck payment .
I would think one of those would have been under warranty. Unless, like mine, it was at 71,000 miles.

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
You have a really expensive mechanic.

I had the heads done, new lifters, distributor, oil pan gasket, rear main seal, timing chain set, new radiator, all new AC components, wires, basically everything redone except the short block on my 99 454 for 2500 bucks.

A set of lifters is like 80 bucks
7-11 stores have parts for 350 & 454's. My 04 has a next gen LQ4 motor. AND it's a van. PITA

1 - 20 of 25 Posts