Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a call to fix ant damage at a condo. Started getting into it and found a lot more including a bit of water damage. The way the head casings are installed seems odd to me. They furred out the windows, then installed I channel behind the casings. Seems like a nice way to trap water to me. Looking around the development, most of the windows show some sign of water damage.

My plan is to pull back the siding, cut back house wrap, lap vycor over top window flange and under house wrap. Then bring j channel up to top of the casing, install drip cap over head casing and behind the j channel?

Any other thoughts on this?
Thanks

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yeah, really not sure why they would have done it that way. It's recipe for disaster. Over the doors they had the sense to use drip cap, but not the windows for some reason.

·
Trees are Cool
195 Posts
You have to put the paper over the top drip edge. The tape will hold for a while but it will leak in the future.

One method is to cut the paper, install drip edge and tape it to the wall, then lay the building paper over it. You will need to tape the corners where you had to slice to get the vycore in.
I hope this makes sense.

Basically the water has today a free way out. You don't want to depend on adhesives to keep the water out but proper layering.

·
Registered
2,050 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have to put the paper over the top drip edge. The tape will hold for a while but it will leak in the future.

One method is to cut the paper, install drip edge and tape it to the wall, then lay the building paper over it. You will need to tape the corners where you had to slice to get the vycore in.
I hope this makes sense.

Basically the water has today a free way out. You don't want to depend on adhesives to keep the water out but proper layering.
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was trying to say in the first post.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts