Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yesterday I winterized a house. I had several jugs of RV anti freeze that I introduced into p-traps and when I poured it into the toilets I noticed the pink anti freeze turned bright yellow. I noticed today it was clear again. whiskey tango foxtrot! Ever seen this before? Its artesian well. The house next door on the same well didn't do it. There is no water softener..I didnt see any tank bowl tablets. I'm baffled.

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
If there is bleach in the toilet it will change the color of the antifreeze as you say. Usually bleach was used to clean toilets and if any is left this is what will happen. Even those toilet bowl cakes.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks...that makes sense since the house was vacated and prepped for sale. I was scratchin my head wondering what the heck I poured into the toilet second guessing my self after I get home..I always do that.

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Next question is, will the bleach make the glycol ineffectual? Do I need to go flush it out and reintroduce the glycol?

·
JumboJack for president!
747 Posts
I don't know the actual answer, but i do flush the toilet to remove the bleach again just to be on the safe side. Then ya reintroduce the propylene glycol. hope this helps.

·
Curmudgeon
11,706 Posts
Reactions: mics_54

·
Registered
186 Posts
I think the color change means someone's pregnant! LOL

The bleach is bleaching the dye that was added to the antifreeze just for pretty. Propylene glycol is colorless. Household bleach diluted in a toilet bowl won't affect the freeze resistance of the glycol. It's ok.

·
Sluggin away
1,393 Posts
Changing colors

A word of advice or help? :jester:
If you are doing the winterize for property preservation companies a little trick that the "old timers" will do so YOU will not be paid or so somebody else can come and "rewinterize" and you get chargebacked for your work or non-paid:::::
here goes: put denture-cream or some toothpastes in the toilet. Magic the RV Antifreeze loses its color...
Good luck protecting yourself.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts