Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So talking to a homeowner today they show me this. It's a drilled hold in conduit that water drains/ pisses out of.

How do you find the leak? 10 year old home, builder or sparky did this and the electric company says it's common. What happens when the hold doesn't allow enough water out and it enters the meter ? Fire hazard? Electric shock hazard?

This isn't part of my job but it seems really not right.

Attachments

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
If you need a weep hole in your conduit you obviously did something wrong. I re ran an emt line for an espresso machine once and when I pulled apart the original conduit it was full of black muck and water. That guy forgot the drain hole! Nec article 344.? RMC drain holes: coming soon

·
hack of all trades
1,144 Posts
I've never seen a drain fitting installed, but I'm also pretty green to building trades and I've never worked in any industrial settings. I'd be interested to see a situation when drain fitting is required/recommended. Haven't come across any code reference to it that I can remember, but, again, I haven't been reading NEC for long.

·
Super Moderator
11,937 Posts
water in conduit is normal, they even make drain fittings.
I rarely demo conduit that hasn't had water in them to some degree. It's better to let it out than to let it sit IMO. I pulled an unfortunate "trap" situation out on a recent service call and it was filled right to the top.

·
Registered
8,042 Posts
Completely serious?
yes
http://ecmweb.com/content/conduit-fitting-guide

Drains. If your installation is in an area of widely varying temperatures — or if conduit runs from a warm area to a cool one — you can expect condensation. Install a drain at the lowest point of the run and at any point where water might accumulate. If the conduit runs underground (or to any place where a drain isn't feasible), create a low point ahead of the entry and place a drain there.

·
Contractor of the Month
26,075 Posts
We HAVE to drill drain holes at the bottom of risers or you won't pass inspection

1 - 11 of 11 Posts