Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Checking back in on my battery weed trimmer that I got last year.(bought one for my daughter too) So far it has done an excellent job. Batteries have kept their charges very well. Black and Decker 18 volt. Overall I would give it a 10. (For medium duty)

However, looking to buy a gasser. Miss the power to do some edging with it too. Thinking of Stihl. I've been using Stihl edger and blower for a few yrs now and they've fired up every time.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
Echo is also good. I have had mine for 8 years with no problems. Take a couple of steps up from the low end model. I also have one of their PAS power heads that run a brush cutter, pole saw, edger, etc. Very happy with it too.

Don't think you can go wrong with Stihl either. Some of their equipment is still made in the USA. At least some of their chain saws.

·
Registered
541 Posts
Most Stihl chainsaws are made in Virginia Beach. A few professional models are made in Germany. A few models are made in Brazil, but they are not sold in the US because they are models that don't comply with US emissions requirements.

The rest of their equipment is more of a mixed bag. Some light duty landscaping equipment is made in China. Back in the 80s and 90s they made a lot of trimmers in Japan, but I think those models are now Chinese. The high end stuff is made in the US, but if it's important to you you should make sure to check.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks. Would be buying from my local Stihl dealer. They also work on my trailers.

The 18 volt is kinda fun. Press the trigger and go. I have always had gas ones and just wanted to try one of those battery ones out.

·
Finishing Carpenter
1,332 Posts
We have an electric stihl trimmer. It works great, however I cannot run across the street and whack the weeds down at the empty drug gro-op house.
Next time I'll go gas.

BTW was in at my lawn mower fixit guy a few months back, and he advised me to use hi octane gas, as the "regular" gas has alcohol in it. apparently the alcohol will eat things in the carb.

·
Registered
1,864 Posts
We have an electric stihl trimmer. It works great, however I cannot run across the street and whack the weeds down at the empty drug gro-op house.
Next time I'll go gas.

BTW was in at my lawn mower fixit guy a few months back, and he advised me to use hi octane gas, as the "regular" gas has alcohol in it. apparently the alcohol will eat things in the carb.
Pretty much all gas has alcohol in it (ethanol). You can find a few places around that don't, but almost all have around 10%. Most fuel systems today can handle it, but only if it stays fresh. If you let the gas sit in the tank for a couple of months, it will absorb water and also some of it will settle and turn into varnish.

Older equipment can have bigger problems. The rubber used in the old fuel systems deteriorates when it comes into contact with ethanol blends.

Here is a link to a site that shows where the ethanol free gas stations are located: http://pure-gas.org

·
Registered
683 Posts
Many of the two stroke tools are having issues with the ethanol. It has been causing a lot of problems. You might go with a true 4-stroke model that requires no mix. Skip the hassle of mixing altogether.

·
Registered
4,662 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A lot of gas stations are now offering non ethanol 90 octane gas now. That's all Ive been running in my boats and lawn equipment now. And boat marinas have had it for a long time.

It's running $4.00 gallon right now.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'll second Echo. First gasser we went to after having a bad luck spree on corded electric. It does require the addition of two-stroke oil, but I'm not sure how your gas standards are in FL. Cali has the most obscene strict ones most anywhere to my knowledge but like Rustbucket said- if you don't use it that often (we use ours often enough to go through a gallon of mix in a month or so (between our blower and weeder), the best bet is stick with the electric unless you want to drain the gas after each usage. Also use higher rated (like mid grade octane) gas. That's what the guy at our local repairshop says. Never by the cheap gas- stick with mid grade, main stream gas station brand.

·
Premium Member
Honolulu, Hawaii
18,448 Posts
look into the Shindowa (Shindaiwa) or Muriyama(Maruyama) if they are available over there. Thats what the bush ninjas use here. We are serious about our bushcutters here.
Both these are big here and also Stihl, We have a lot of weed growth as Fla. does .

1 - 16 of 16 Posts