Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, just got done paying someone to re-do my website. Just wondering if some of you could take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks

platinumconst.com

You'll have to copy and paste since this forum won't let me post a URL.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hey guys, honestly I'm not looking for traffic. I just want to see if the site is appealing. Is it easy to navigate? Are the pictures good enough? What content should be added or removed? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
I have to spend alittle more time looking at it, but my first impression is not appealing. The first thing that i am trying to figure out is what you do? The FOR SALE, it almost looks like a real estate agent, or are you a contractor? I understand you are doing both, but somehow it does not work. Also the Charity tab, it does not belong across the top , it makes things even more confusing, Charity info should appear on some kind of second tier of info. GMOD

·
Registered
5,425 Posts
One more thought, or question, Client LOG IN, what is that about, what type of priveledge or info will a client get that a reg person will not, and why? I am still looking, The Black backround with the blueprints overlaid on the sides, the contrast does not work, you see something, but not enough to make sense, just enough to be annoying, I hope this feedback helps, GMOD

·
Registered
529 Posts
Hey guys, honestly I'm not looking for traffic. I just want to see if the site is appealing. Is it easy to navigate? Are the pictures good enough? What content should be added or removed? Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.
They have set you up with a nice straight forward layoutand you've got super simple navigation. I would move the Testimonials,Why Build... and Floorplans links to the Top Nav and put the Client Login, Charity down below or on a drop down.

That humongo slideshow on your homepage isn't a great idea though.

Consider making that a smaller accent on your home page instead of the focal point. More written text on that page would be a benefit. You could also take the homes and make "feature boxes" on your homepage (column down right or left side) that would showcase these homes. Clicking the picture would lead to a page describing the project.

This could coincide with your "floorplans" link and you could have the floorplans associated with each of your examples so it's easier for your visitors to associate the two.

For your testimonials you might want to include a picture of the clients home with each testimonial, with their permission.

Why Build With Us...?

If I am going to pay you big $$$ to build a home I want to know what YOU can do for me and you've given this:
<H3>So Why Choose To Build With Platinum Construction?
Well besides SUPERIOR craftsmanship, customer service, quality, design, and integrity. Here is a list of a few more benefits when choosing to build your dream home with Platinum Construction.
</H3>Take each one of those reasons you've listed and elaborate on them. You could add a few more testimonials into this content.

Free landscape design, maybe showcase that in a feature box on your homepage?

Just throwing stuff out there for ya!

Carl

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Carl, hey thanks for the ideas. Could you send me an email on your SEO programs. It seems like you know what it takes and I really like that you cater to contractors. I wish I would have found you when building this site.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Its simple, and clean, but there is no real information about your business on the homepage. You need some kind of call to action on there.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
What's with the dumb drop down thing saying I'm using IE6 and need to upgrade?
I don't really care for the slide show, myself.

OT; Who designs those homes for you with all the deadend valleys, and other water traps? Not too smart, ihmo.:whistling
I believe you must be running a very old Internet Explorer 6 system.

What seems to be the problem with the slide show?

Most of my clients already have plans drawn up and say "Here, build this". As far as the deadend valleys we always build crickets and they all seem to work just fine.

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The site navigates really well...I did notice that you posted testimonials - great marketing idea. However, there are new FTC guidelines regarding this type of advertising...I posted a link to them on this thread:

Just wanted to keep you updated.
Thanks for the link. I believe we are in full compliance on that

·
House Painting Denver
221 Posts
Hey guys, honestly I'm not looking for traffic. I just want to see if the site is appealing.
Ok, a couple thoughts when I first read what you wrote and visited the website:

• The First thing is that you said that you paid a guy to create this website but you're not looking for traffic... Umm, I'm confused. Why would you invest money on marketing and not expect a return on your investment? When you invest money on the advertising and marketing, you should demand a return on it. The website needs to make you money, drive people to your site all on it's own and not only through the business cards that you've given out. I don't want to be so foreword and depressing, but let's start making some money here! This economy is hard enough, so every avenue that your potential clients can see your company, the better.

Second: If you paid somebody to build a content management website (Joomla) for you without SEO, I would have it redone. Or have them work some more on it. You only have one keyword and that is your company name. So somebody that already knows your company and is searching for it can find it in the search engines, but not somebody who's searching for your specific services: Construction Management etc.

Also, the website layout isn't too bad, I like that it's simple to navigate. I personally don't like black because i think it's too dark and depressing.

The home page is supposed to do a couple things. Number one, its supposed to catch your potential clients eye and make them stay on your page. I think that the images do that for you although I would remove one image so the image list below doesn't have two lines. Second, I would take the copy that's on the commercial page and place it on your home page. Your website has to have a lot of copy so that search engines know what your website is about and can tell potential searching clients about you.

Google has a really good starter guide that you can download from the top of this webpage. Click here for google's Website SEO guide.

I hope this helps and good luck.

·
We Repair Garage Doors
274 Posts
This site has no goal other than having the reverse effect of you sending customers to the website instead of the website sending customers to you.
Try making a goal- For high ticket items like home building goals are difficult to identify. If you were a plumber the goal would be clear, GET THEM TO CALL YOU. Personally i would focus my efforts on building a network of local groups that meet once a month or networking with architects. Oh wait, maybe we can do that on the net if you can show that you have some authority on home building.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Ok, a couple thoughts when I first read what you wrote and visited the website:

• Second: If you paid somebody to build a content management website for you without SEO, I would have it redone. Or have them work some more on it. You only have one keyword and that is your company name. So somebody that already knows your company and is searching for it can find it in the search engines, but not somebody who's searching for your specific services: Construction Management etc.

I hope this helps and good luck.

• How does a painter from Denver know so much about SEO and websites? Thanks for the ideas man.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts