Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

Website Taxing Issue

Tags
taxes website
2K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  Leo G 
#1 ·
I just read a story that Texas this week will begin looking at websites hosted in their state and see if they are required to pay sales taxes for sales made to residents in that state. There are a couple of very large hosting firms there that may have a serious tax problem for their customers that don't even reside in Texas but will be required to register and pay Texas taxes now. You may want to check with your Host Provider and CPA to see if this applies to you!

#4 ·
What are you paying tax on? The website itself? as in the cost to have the website be in existence. Or are you paying taxes on something else?

If you are selling items from your website, something that you send to the customer, and if this customer is within the state of Texas then you indeed have charge the sales tax on those items.

#11 ·
I thought that this would be the case. Unfortunately the policy of this forum does not permit me to provide that since I haven't posted enough responses. So should you want to read more about this then I suggest that you go on Google and look up Diane Kennedy's USATaxAid blog posts for this week. The title is "All My Nexus Lives in Texas". I hope that this helps and further explains.

The Contractor Coach

#7 ·
You are dealing with a government entity and taxes. The retroactive taxes always suck and seem unfair at best. But, I doubt that you will be able to fight it. I also don't think that they can go back more than one year. But this is the government. I would suggest just paying them and being done with it. You will be able to deduct it from your business as a business expense. My plan is about $120/yr so the taxes would be minimal.

#9 ·
You are dealing with a government entity and taxes.
Not in this case. As I understand it, the hosting service neglected to bill for taxes last year, got dinged when they didn't pay the state, and are now billing their customers retroactively in order to make up for their own oversight.

The customers have the option to pay it, or take their business elsewhere.

#8 ·
I never heard of such a thing and I'm in Texas. All I can say is those of you who vote and love your govt........just shut up and dig deeper. Most people want govt to control them. Some want less govt, most want more govt. I want NO govt. America prospered before the Federal Income Tax was initiated. Now look at us. We fed the govt machine fire till it is so out of control that we can no longer turn it around.

Pizz on them all................

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.