Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have two websites, #1 is my master website and I have it set up as followed:
1. In the header I have the (6)specific cities we serve and Same Day service.
2. I also have a page per city (City name + Service EXAMPLE Phonix Plumber) that we service and that page is specific to the city.
3. On Each City page I also have a section on the page with a list of other cities served and a hyperlink to those other pages on our site.
4. I also have a page per service that we offer not specific to each city.

#2 site is specific to a city, just an example of what domain i think i'll be buying PlumbXpressPhonix or Phonixxplumber Example of the site name is our company+city or city+service
1. The site will be specific to that city.
2. It has the city name in the website name.
3. It will have a list of other cities served but no links.

My 1st Question is I am ready to create more websites with the ourcompany+city or ourservice+city idea but I am not sure if this is benefical in the local and natural searches.
2nd Question: On the Master Site should I continue to create content rich pages per city?
3rd Question: On the Master Site should I keep the city names in the header? Or revert to site specific websites?

FYI: Since Googles changes we have seen a decline in our calls, we dropped in the natural searches to the 4-5pages from the 1st page and are only appearing in one local city search result. Thanks guys for all your help in advance you can offer. I have also seen some suggested SEO companies to go with, I am looking for someone to maintain the site or sites so if you have any suggestions please let me know. Thanks again.

·
Registered
311 Posts
Not sure if it's just me, but I found your explanation rather hard to follow ... Perhaps if you actually gave the URL then people could look for themselves and get what you are saying. Just a thought ;)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Agreed, it sounds like you are basically working in a way like this?

Your main site: jerrythecar.com links to all of the satellite sites that you are using?

Satellite Sites: jerrythecartexas.com, jerrythecarnewyork.com, and jerrythecararizona.com (just examples)

You would have a couple of options that you could go with in accomplishing your goals:

1. You can use a simple redirect from your other domain names, and have them all lead into your main site, from there you can set up the information that you do service all the cities, and set your information up from that stand point. This would decrease your workload on the amount of material that you need to come up with, and the amount of links that you are throwing from your main site.

2. Another thing you could do is set up simple landing pages where you will need to create some new content somewhat often, then link them to the main site. You will still need to create new content since it is your main site. By doing this it allows you to not only set up the main page for seo, but also allows you the ability to set up each landing page for the specific city, and you can focus that page on that.

I am sure there other options, but this is what we have done in the past. You just need look and see what you think will work best for you, and how much time you have to give to each one of the pages to make sure that you are getting it ranked like you want.

I edited this to throw this in about option 2. You have to be careful when you are doing this. I see a lot of talk about link wheels right now, and how they can help your site. I am also seeing a lot about how they can hurt your site. I would be careful when linking everything together, just use the landing pages to link to the main site and not to each other, let them stand on their own. I know this could be debatable, and this is only my opinion on the link wheel scenario, but it would be safer to make sure that you don't hurt the main site in anyway, then worrying about picking up the few links that you would get from the landing pages.

Good luck

·
Registered
414 Posts

Your main site: jerrythecar.com links to all of the satellite sites that you are using?

Satellite Sites: jerrythecartexas.com, jerrythecarnewyork.com, and jerrythecararizona.com (just examples)

You would have a couple of options that you could go with in accomplishing your goals:

1. You can use a simple redirect from your other domain names, and have them all lead into your main site, from there you can set up the information that you do service all the cities, and set your information up from that stand point. This would decrease your workload on the amount of material that you need to come up with, and the amount of links that you are throwing from your main site.

2. Another thing you could do is set up simple landing pages where you will need to create some new content somewhat often, then link them to the main site. You will still need to create new content since it is your main site. By doing this it allows you to not only set up the main page for seo, but also allows you the ability to set up each landing page for the specific city, and you can focus that page on that.

I am sure there other options, but this is what we have done in the past. You just need look and see what you think will work best for you, and how much time you have to give to each one of the pages to make sure that you are getting it ranked like you want.

Good luck.
Well said :thumbup:

·
Fence Experts
120 Posts
You will experience the same results either way. The results will come from where your SEO efforts go.

If you keep your main site and then create pages for each localized area, just make sure that you have all links that are relevant for that localized area pointing to the localized page and that those pages are optimized for the local area.

There really is no need to create new websites for every city. The only benefit that would come of that is having the localized city name within the URL which can be done simply by adding it to your main site like this "www.jerrythecar.com/texas-car-dealer.html"

This is how our site is setup and we have great results for localized searches.

·
Banned
588 Posts
Having more than one website may not be the best option for you. Google has recently changed the format for local search in which SEO is now more of a factor. If you have a well optimized website, you should be able to rank well for multiple keywords. If you have too many websites, all of you SEO efforts will be divided into 3.

Plus, if you have more than one website for the same company it is considered duplicate content and you can be penalized by google and other search engines. If you want another website, you need to create another company. Another phone number and a separate location for each business. :blink: Then you need different shirts, truck decals, and business cards.

If you want more business, improve the quality of your website. That is your best chance for success.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I was looking at your post again, am I correct in seeing that you will be running 7 sites if you would create landing pages? The main site and then 6 cities that you service? If this is correct then I would almost forget about the landing pages. If you are going to be doing all the work yourself, have your host do a redirect, it wont hurt you in the rankings and if you want to city specific advertising you could use that cities domain name and it would go right to your main site.

As said above me, unless you are going to offer specific content on each page for each city, then you are creating yourself a lot of work just to make sure that you are keeping up with what you need to. Duplicate content is an easy work around, but it still takes time, and from working with small businesses, time is money.

·
Banned
22 Posts
best website building method

1) Local seo optimization is always good. If your going to build a website for each city using a keyword rich domain that will be most beneficial.

2) If you’re building a website for each city it would be a waste of time to have individual pages cauterized by city on your main website.

3) This question is redundant if you’re building 1 site.

A better question to ask is how to structure a directory silo style website. If the competition allows for this level of site to rank well - (searches below competition 50,000 in quotes) then this is the preferred method.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

I edited this to throw this in about option 2. You have to be careful when you are doing this. I see a lot of talk about link wheels right now, and how they can help your site. I am also seeing a lot about how they can hurt your site. I would be careful when linking everything together, just use the landing pages to link to the main site and not to each other, let them stand on their own. I know this could be debatable, and this is only my opinion on the link wheel scenario, but it would be safer to make sure that you don't hurt the main site in anyway, then worrying about picking up the few links that you would get from the landing pages.

Good luck
Thanks so much for all the great replies. This is my first post and I am not sure if I understood the posting rules but I thought I could not post any "real links" until I have post 15 x's and not wanting to break the rules my first go around I gave examples of websites. With that said, I have a much better understanding based on this information.

I do have one more question, in option #2 do the landing pages have their own domain names? or are they located on my main site and just redirected to the main page? I have tried to stay away from re-directs and I know I will need someone to do this for me but I just wanted a better understanding of how that works so that I don't go in blind with someone else's help.

Thanks again for everyone taking the time to help me out on this.

·
Registered
388 Posts
... stuff deleted

I do have one more question, in option #2 do the landing pages have their own domain names? or are they located on my main site and just redirected to the main page?

... stuff deleted
http://jerrygc.com/alpharetta
http://jerrygc.com/smyrna
http://jerrygc.com/decatur

etc.

If you have a separate page for each suburb, there is no need to do a 301 redirect. Let the individual pages stand on their own. It will only help your site in the long run.

Don't worry about amassing numerous domain names with various keywords and have them 301 redirect back to your site. Even if it is still effective, the way in which search engines and social engines are adapting, it may be useless sometime in the future.

I'm no expert so verify anything you read from me.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Yea, in option 2, you would basically have a website at each domain name. Once your visitor wanted to view more information all of your links would go to your main site. This is also a benefit in SEO since all of you links would go from the satellite sites to the main site. Once again though, if you are going to do that, do not link all of the satellite sites together or you may run into a problem with a link wheel issue.

·
Banned
22 Posts
website structure

First make categories for each city. These will be in unique folders on your hosting within your primary directory.

Then make more categories if needed to keep the authority of your topic more relevant.

Then make sub pages inside these parent pages using your main key phrases.

This works well when you’re covering 500 to 1000 key phrases. If you have 10 cities and 100 key phrases that’s 1000 pages.

As a professional this is almost completely automated using various scripting languages. But the first sites I built were all done manually which is a great learning experience and a lot of fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts