Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Stonewall357
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've worked on this for some time and its my first site. I'm thinking about making some changes, like add more information on the blog pages, and reducing the photo gallery to only the best before and after pics. I geared this site to come up in search results for 6 inch gutters for home wanting to upgrade. I have hidden words all over if you highlight the page you can see the "keywords".

Any input would be greatly appreciated. Thanks,

Joe

GraceGuttering dot com. (Named after my daugter)

·
Registered
401 Posts
If you are going to do it yourself then make sure it looks like you did it yourself. Make it very personal, have lots of pictures of yourself doing the work. Speak from the heart. Be sincere and convey that to your visitors. Show yourself, don't hide behind the website. Use the site as an opportunity to show people who you are. You don't have to put picture of your family but if your customers don't mind maybe put some pictures/videos of them. Update it very frequently. There are many ways to build credibility. Having a professional do it is only one.

Also, hiding text by making it the same color at your background is considered a type of spamming by Google (look it up).

·
Registered
401 Posts
It seems like when it comes to a website, you have about two seconds to hook somebody, after that they bounce. I've struggled with putting Grace's picture on there.

Personnaly, I would be uncomfortable putting my children's picture on a website. Why not put your own picture up?

For me you are #4 for 'gutter replacement knoxville tn' and you are #2 in local search.

·
Registered
16 Posts
What's weird is if you go to google and type in say "gutter replacement knoxville tn" the site comes up and has those words under it. Like those are the words that work?
Yep, it'll work until google finds out and you're blacklisted and won't be able to get that site on google to save your life. It's commonly called "black hat SEO." Stick with using keyword meta tags.

That's my understanding of it anyway.

·
House Painting Denver
221 Posts
ok... First and foremost... remove all of the "Hidden" keywords!!!! Just write content along with photographs of the keywords that you want your website to promote through google. It's not worth the risk of being blacklisted for keyword stuffing!

You go through all the trouble to hide your keywords and yet you don't even have "alt" tags (where you can place keywords) for your images????????

Besides, getting your website ranked high in google is based upon incoming links to your website. Meaning that the more links from other websites that you have pointing to your website, the higher your website will be placed.

So, as long as you have done your job with SEO & keywords you want, it doesn't matter if you place them 1000000 times in your pages! Write the pages right the first time and spend the rest of your time getting links!!!

·
Registered
3 Posts
You should also seperate your keywords in your keyword meta tag with a comma, it looks like a big run on sentence and google will have issues determining the proper keywords.

Also, merge your keywords with your local, instead of using just "6 in gutters", use "6 inch gutters knoxville" because lots of your potential clients will be looking for local gutter people and will include the town.

·
;)
233 Posts
From Google Guidelines on Hidden Text/Links:

Hiding text or links in your content can cause your site to be perceived as untrustworthy since it presents information to search engines differently than to visitors. Text (such as excessive keywords) can be hidden in several ways, including:

• Using white text on a white background
  • Including text behind an image
  • Using CSS to hide text
  • Setting the font size to 0
If your site is perceived to contain hidden text and links that are deceptive in intent, your site may be removed from the Google index, and will not appear in search results pages.

·
;)
233 Posts
I know little about SEO, short url will be common for Google(friendly). I guess you need to change your URL to be search engine friendly. Not like this below:
graceguttering.com/ImageGallery/CategoryList.aspx?id=6b660413-021a-4331-a64b-bd86be0429c9&m=0
It's not that short urls are SE-friendly because they are short (eg gracegutters.com/123 is no more SE friendly than gracegutters.com/1234567890).

It's the urls that have actual syntactic structure that are SE-friendly. That's because the search engines are actually using the words in your url as part of their ranking algorithms.

So, something like gracegutters.com/gutter-images might actually rank for a search of "gutter images" but something like gracegutters.com/1234 will not.

·
Stonewall357
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
It's not that short urls are SE-friendly because they are short (eg gracegutters.com/123 is no more SE friendly than gracegutters.com/1234567890).

It's the urls that have actual syntactic structure that are SE-friendly. That's because the search engines are actually using the words in your url as part of their ranking algorithms.

So, something like gracegutters.com/gutter-images might actually rank for a search of "gutter images" but something like gracegutters.com/1234 will not.

Since I'm using a template through the hosting and domain company I'll have to look into how much control I have of the various urls associated with the site. I currently am not aware of having the ability to change those at least through them.

·
Stonewall357
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I also hope there is no backlash for my clients from here that use a shared server if you're also one of my clients. :censored:

I have no idea what your talking about. Can you please explain? Are you saying that if I'm a client of yours, and my site was "blacklisted" it may affect your other clients? If that is the case you don't have to worry about that.

I am also going to try eliminating the hidden words and add more content.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I have no idea what your talking about. Can you please explain? Are you saying that if I'm a client of yours, and my site was "blacklisted" it may affect your other clients? If that is the case you don't have to worry about that.

I am also going to try eliminating the hidden words and add more content.
With shared hosting, G can/might assume that since the IP is coming from one source, other websites on the same, shared server can become suspect.

There were a few good threads about this over at DP.

·
Registered
6,858 Posts
Stonewall, - - I'm no expert of websites by far, - - and I can't even understand most of the jibberish that is being discussed here, - - but here's my two cents anyway.

Overall, - - I really like both your site and it's content, - - but the only thing I might suggest is to make the initial 'page' a condensation of your entire content.

It seems a little like a scroll-chore.

Picture a magazine cover, - - it's low on specifics, - - but pops right at you with teasers that reel you in deeper.

Anyway, just one man's opinion . . .

P.S. I caught a missed word in the only blog post I read without intentionally trying to proof-read it (it was the one on vinyl siding), - - so you might want to double-check everything. But at the same time I will say it was over-all well written and did hold my interest.

Here's the statement I'm referring to (seems to be missing the word more)

It is sometimes difficult to repair than wood.

(I believe it's much harder to proof-read your own work than someone else's, - - because as you're reading your own, you already have in your mind what it's supposed to say) . . .

1 - 20 of 37 Posts