Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know there are many great minds on here that post about things to do with the website to make it produce. I have a site that I have paid local people some money ($1,500) to build (friends that were starting in business), but they never got it finished. Either because they went out of business or just didn't know what they were doing.

Which brings me to this question. Is there anyone on here that would be interested in the job of finishing or redesigning my site?
Or does anyone have a recommendation of someone that understands the website business as well as the construction business?

It is to overwhelming for a website novice like me and I am tired of helping friends that don't know what they are doing! I am getting no return on the money that has been spent. I need to either get this done right so I can grow the business, or get out.

http://cluckconstruction.com

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
Your site really has nothing on it. I mean nothing personal. I think its the wrong template too. They are all the rage and whatnot but unless they are done well and really well they just feel like someone is beating my head with a big visual website of nothing. I feel like I am being led with a carrot on a stick and have to keep scrolling to find the "point" and more often then not there isnt really a point to all the scrolling.

If that makes any sense.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes, I understand. That's what has been so frustrating about this. I appreciate all the comments that will be on here and will not take offense to anything that is said. I'm embarrassed to have something out there that has my name on it that doesn't work right. That's not how I do business!!
It's like when I ask clients to pay me what I am worth, and when they do, I better deliver.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Yes, I understand. That's what has been so frustrating about this. I appreciate all the comments that will be on here and will not take offense to anything that is said. I'm embarrassed to have something out there that has my name on it that doesn't work right. That's not how I do business!!
It's like when I ask clients to pay me what I am worth, and when they do, I better deliver.
Don't feel too bad. At least you didn't pay as much for a site like HealthCare.gov.

Light humor.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Don't feel too bad. At least you didn't pay as much for a site like HealthCare.gov.

Light humor.
@Gastec You made me laugh!! :laughing:
You're right, I guess it could have been worse. The thing is.....I don't want to do business like the government!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Don't know if it's just me but the home page images are blurry.
Yes they are supposed to be blurry. You are not losing your eyesight!!!
I think the guy that did it was either going for the "dream" factor or he told me one time that my pictures were not good enough to use so maybe that's why he did it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I know there are many great minds on here that post about things to do with the website to make it produce. I have a site that I have paid local people some money ($1,500) to build (friends that were starting in business), but they never got it finished. Either because they went out of business or just didn't know what they were doing.

Which brings me to this question. Is there anyone on here that would be interested in the job of finishing or redesigning my site?
Or does anyone have a recommendation of someone that understands the website business as well as the construction business?

It is to overwhelming for a website novice like me and I am tired of helping friends that don't know what they are doing! I am getting no return on the money that has been spent. I need to either get this done right so I can grow the business, or get out.

http://cluckconstruction.com
site looks good, it's def got a modern vibe to it. I would just hop on freelancer or something similar and post a job to finish this up. You just need some content. I wouldn't start over from scratch.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
I would just hop on freelancer or something similar and post a job to finish this up.
No offense to you, Matt, but that's bad advice. It's kinda like telling a HO with a torn up bathroom to put an ad on Craig's List so a desperate hack can take over the job. The OP wants results from his site, not another disappointment.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Not sure if you still need it but I hate when I see people get stuck like this and dont know what to do. We talked it over here and would be willing to finish it / redesign it for you no charge. PM me or email us.

·
Registered
44 Posts
No offense to you, Matt, but that's bad advice. It's kinda like telling a HO with a torn up bathroom to put an ad on Craig's List so a desperate hack can take over the job. The OP wants results from his site, not another disappointment.
none taken brother, my opinion at last check is worth about 2 cents. What is the site really missing? Content, some videos, a few menu pages. I thought it was a html5 site but I could be wrong. If the op is already out x amount then why throw the money away.

Fyi what's wrong with craigslist? It's still a great lead gen site. I get the analogy, but at the end of the day it's up to the person writing the check to do his or her own due diligence for whatever service, online or offline they are getting.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Ccnailer!

Here is just my quick opinion of your site- I arrived at your site and I wasn't really sure what exactly you do. Yes, I know you're a construction company.. but do you specialize in residential or commercial--or do you do both?

My second thought was to look at the text on your site. When I look at the text, I believe it sounds like a mission statement, rather then text that would jump out to me as a customer and want me to take action. Could you offer some teaser for immediate download--a brochure about your company, a special offer, etc. Something that would make me want to take action on your site.

Additionally, I would then look at what your customers care about....your work! Can you add a picture gallery of your projects? How about glorious customer testimonials?

Finally, I would always think about the local SEO aspects for your website!

Hope that this information helped! Let me know if you need any other advice on the content. Feel free to get in touch!

All the best!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Wow!! I have never really participated in an active forum like this one. It is amassing to see all the "experts" willing to help. Sometimes (for me anyway), it seams like you are all alone and against the whole world, But I come on here needing some help (I hate to ask), and you all jump up and help! It's simply amazing!!
I simply hope that I can be as effective in the future by staying involved in this forum and helping other people the way I have been helped.
As for the site, I will pick someone to take on the job and move forward. I'm sure it will warm up sometime (maybe July :)) and we will be busy.
Thanks again,
Randy

·
Registered
10 Posts
You're welcome Randy. Just let us know if you have any other questions or need anything else. I dont know everybody or really anybody on here but MktgMeg and Cbscreative (and typically myself) are on here and more than happy to help.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
none taken brother, my opinion at last check is worth about 2 cents. What is the site really missing? Content, some videos, a few menu pages. I thought it was a html5 site but I could be wrong. If the op is already out x amount then why throw the money away.

Fyi what's wrong with craigslist? It's still a great lead gen site. I get the analogy, but at the end of the day it's up to the person writing the check to do his or her own due diligence for whatever service, online or offline they are getting.
I didn't dig all that deep in Randy's site because I saw enough to know it didn't have any pull or connection with visitors. When and if I were to dig deep, I would expect it to be a disaster under the hood. If it's not, that would be a major exception to the rule. I've been doing web design for 15+ years and I've never yet seen a case where fixing would be less expensive than starting over. I've done projects where the same look was preserved to where the user would never know the difference, but still redone from scratch. Good SEO starts in the foundation of the site. Doing it as an afterthought isn't effective.

As for the $1500, it's already been wasted and nothing can change that. What will help is to turn it around and make it generate tens to hundreds of thousands of dollars. Only then will the pain go away. If I were doing this project, and Randy and I have been communicating about it, it for sure will not be the first time I have helped someone in his situation.

You're right about both CL and the fact it was just an analogy. I used CL simply because it is heavily infused with cheapskates and hacks. That doesn't mean you cannot benefit from utilizing it, even the much hated Home Advisor works well for a lot of contractors. Once you learn to avoid the land mines, there are all kinds of strategies that work even though most members here swear they don't.

When it comes to those freelance pimping sites though, I can tell you with absolute certainty that your chances of success are so close to nil that you can count on losing. The attitude of professionals toward those sites is very unanimous. People who really know what they are doing have no use for those sites so you won't them there, nor would they have time to sort through tons of gravel hoping to find one speck of gold. It's a raw deal for both the customer and the freelancer. The only real winner is the web site owner because they shave their cut regardless.

I'm not aware of anything in the contractor world to provide a really good analogy to those freelance sites.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts