Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am using Dreamweaver to create my website, learning as I go. I have been going over it in my spare time, but I need outside opinions. If anyone cares to give it a 'test drive' and offer constructive feedback, I could use the help:

www.topflooronline.com

Thanks for your time.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I would change the graphic on the front page. If I'm a homeowner I don't care about your flooring gun, I care about the shiny new floor I'm going to have. Use a pic of a floor you've done, preferably with a nice reflection going on, or a tricky pattern...something that stands out. I've noticed you have tools on the other pages too...again, I don't care about your chop saw.

I would also like to see some content on that home page. Once you've gotten people to click you need to give them something so they have an incentive to look further. What is your company about? Low prices? Great work? Easy to deal with? Little upset to the customers life?

If you decide to stick with just the picture, bring the menu up so it all fits on one page. There's no reason I should have to scroll to see everything with what's going on there.

Customer reviews shouldn't be something I get to through a link on the gallery page. They should be front and center with a menu link. You might even consider putting up excerpts elsewhere around the site. Social proof is a big selling point. One thing I like to do is combine the gallery/projects page and the review page so people have some context to go with the review...this is what we did, and this is what the customer said about it.

What on earth does profile mean? There's a reason every web page has an about page and that's because people expect it, and they know what to expect when they click it. Are those pictures of you and your crew? If not I'd nix them.

Like others said don't forget to add LOCAL titles and meta tags.

Why did you decide not to use the logo you have as your avatar here?

I really like the nice clean look though. I think people will associate it with you being clean while you work.

Those are my 2 cents for what they're worth. Good Luck!

·
House Painting Denver
221 Posts
I would change the graphic on the front page. If I'm a homeowner I don't care about your flooring gun, I care about the shiny new floor I'm going to have. Use a pic of a floor you've done, preferably with a nice reflection going on, or a tricky pattern...something that stands out. I've noticed you have tools on the other pages too...again, I don't care about your chop saw.
This is a very good point. I read of a quote a little while back that said "If it doesn't help you, it hurts you". I think that this makes cents when it comes to the home page and the imagery there. Place images on your website that have a reason! On top of that, your home page MUST have a Tagline, or a short discription that tells your potential client what your business is all about.

The home page must also have short/precise content / text about the services that you provide. This is so that search engines know what your website is about. Once you have written some content for the home page, you can take the advice from Terran and add some meta data to your home page... and all your other pages as well to help search engines rank your site.

The website has a very clean look/design and I really like it. I would challenge you to keep that overall look while adding the necessary content to each section. Very nice... keep up the good work!

·
Registered
3 Posts
I agree with tinner666

Not the greatest title. I doubt anybody will search for "<title>Untitled Document</title>" and expect to find you.
You also need to add all the other meta tags into your site.

I have been programming in Dreamweaver for years, PM me if you have any questions.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
This is a very good point. I read of a quote a little while back that said "If it doesn't help you, it hurts you". I think that this makes cents when it comes to the home page and the imagery there. Place images on your website that have a reason! On top of that, your home page MUST have a Tagline, or a short discription that tells your potential client what your business is all about.

The home page must also have short/precise content / text about the services that you provide. This is so that search engines know what your website is about. Once you have written some content for the home page, you can take the advice from Terran and add some meta data to your home page... and all your other pages as well to help search engines rank your site.

The website has a very clean look/design and I really like it. I would challenge you to keep that overall look while adding the necessary content to each section. Very nice... keep up the good work!
Thank you for the thoughtful advice. I will be taking up your challenge this week! I hope you will be able to review the site in its next incarnation.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
That was my first thought too. Since I'm not a contractor, I wouldn't even know what that tool is. It means nothing to me as a homeowner. I like the clean look, but I agree about the tools and other advice given.

On the clean look though, you've done well for a DIY site. You've avoided many of the mistakes that are common.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, CBS. I am changing the prominence of the tools. Honestly, I liked the idea of my most important tool getting the spotlight, but I haven't had anyone second the idea so its gotta go.
I appreciate that you took the time to check it out. I hope to get a revamped version up his weekend.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I agree with tinner666... You also need to add all the other meta tags into your site...I have been programming in Dreamweaver for years, PM me if you have any questions.
I put a great deal of work into the site this weekend. if you get a moment, I would welcome your thoughts:
www.topflooronline.com
thanks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
;)
233 Posts
Looks much better. I love the simplicity (as before).

I would urge you to move the menu to the top. Even with my fairly large screen resolution (1440x900), I still have to scroll down to get to the menu. You want it presented without the user having to search for it.

·
House Painting Denver
221 Posts
Very nice, I like the clean look of the design. And I would agree to remove the dusk masks. Another thing that I noticed is that you don't have keywords & descriptions on any page except your home page and even then, your home page doesn't have any content to support your keywords. Search engines love content that will back up what your keywords say.

Looks great, but start working on content associated with keywords

1 - 20 of 34 Posts