·
Proprietor
1,847 Posts
Using a program like Google Analytics will help you find those answers

·
Registered
162 Posts
Using a program like Google Analytics will help you find those answers
....for some reason that doesn't work for me. I've tried using it since it since a few months back and it always give me a 0 stat for my visitors when in fact I know we're getting lots of traffic through the website

·
Registered
7,182 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
:rolleyes::rolleyes: I guess that was a stupid question. No one is going to post what their keywords are in case there are competitors lurking. duh.
Why do you think this is such a secret?

Everybody knows what those keywords are.

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,705 Posts
Local keywords will yield the most qualified traffic--but your page's relevance to search engines is a factor of ALL of your content and keywords--including generic ones like "roofing", "kitchen remodeling", etc.

I've posted the following tool in a few threads today, but it bears repeating:

http://www.seocentro.com/tools/search-engines/metatag-analyzer.html

I target my local keywords most heavily:

Indianapolis Kitchen Remodeling, Indianapolis Remodeling Contractor, Indianapolis Room Additions, etc. and usually come up 1, 2 or 3 in the results.

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm learning all this stuff for the first time, so please bear with me.

I've read many of the SEO posts on this forum and from what I understand I think I'm supposed to:

1. Make sure each page of my site contains certain relevant keywords

2. Register certain domain names that contain important keywords for my biz and geography, (eastbumblehell-lightbulb-replacement.com) and have them all point to my main site.

3. Use something called meta tags on each page. (still not sure exactly what these are)

4. Update my blog with fresh content weekly. Question, if the main site is gocohome.com and the blog is gocohome.com/blog, will the search engines automatically pick up the fresh content for both the site and the blog? Does this happen because the blog has a link to my web site? I'm not sure I understand how this works.

5. Register my biz with search engine local directories and as many other online directories as possible.

Does this sum up DIY SEO? And will doing all this start moving me up in the rankings?

·
Registered
168 Posts
Local keywords will yield the most qualified traffic--but your page's relevance to search engines is a factor of ALL of your content and keywords--including generic ones like "roofing", "kitchen remodeling", etc.

Indianapolis Kitchen Remodeling, Indianapolis Remodeling Contractor, Indianapolis Room Additions, etc. and usually come up 1, 2 or 3 in the results.
So, do you write out the above keywords exactly as they're written on each page of your site? Just the home page?

·
Builder/Remodeler
3,705 Posts

I've read many of the SEO posts on this forum and from what I understand I think I'm supposed to:

Yes--the keywords you think someone will enter in a search engine that indicate they are looking for someone like you.

2. Register certain domain names that contain important keywords for my biz and geography, (eastbumblehell-lightbulb-replacement.com) and have them all point to my main site.

I'd work on the basics first--come back to this after you've optimized your current site.

3. Use something called meta tags on each page. (still not sure exactly what these are)

META tags are lines of code in your website that are not seen by your visitors. They are tags meant to be seen by search engine spiders, that help them catagorize your site in their directory. If you don't know what a spider is--do some basic research online to learn more about the search engines and how they work.

META tags alone won't get you better rankings but they do help.

4. Update my blog with fresh content weekly. Question, if the main site is gocohome.com and the blog is gocohome.com/blog, will the search engines automatically pick up the fresh content for both the site and the blog? Does this happen because the blog has a link to my web site? I'm not sure I understand how this works.

Every search engine uses different algorithms to determine how your site ranks. They analyze things like your keywords, how long you're site has been in existence, how much content you have relavant to your keywords, how many other sites link back to yours and how relavant those sites are, etc. etc. etc. A blog is a tool that has a number of SEO benefits:
http://www.searchenginejournal.com/how-blogs-help-seo/4271/

5. Register my biz with search engine local directories and as many other online directories as possible.

Does this sum up DIY SEO? And will doing all this start moving me up in the rankings?

Do some online research to understand how the search engines work. This will help you prioritize changes and improvements.

·
Registered
1,347 Posts

I wouldn't recomment artificially stuffing your pages with keywords, just make your content interesting on each page and keep in mind what keyword variations you definitely want to have throughout the site.

I'd like to hear some responses on this one. I have a hard time believing this really helps enough to be worth the money of registering the domains.

Start looking at other websites, right click on the page and choose "view source" you will see a "head" section at the top followed by a "body". The meta tages are near the top of the head section. Look at several sites that rank well and you will begin to understand how they should be set up. There are also lots of free website graders that will let you know if you don't have them set up well(although they all disagree on how long they should be).

The blog is just another page on the site, so yes, as long as SE's can find and index the blog pages it will contribute favorably to your site content. On the other hand if the web address of your blog were http://gocohome.blogspot.com you would just have a stand alone blog hosted on blogspot's server.

yes, also try to find highly relevant sites to do reciprocal linking with.

I'd say this is a pretty good start. To be really successful at SEO you need to be patient and determined. It's not something that happens overnight.

·
Professional Instigator
6,872 Posts
....for some reason that doesn't work for me. I've tried using it since it since a few months back and it always give me a 0 stat for my visitors when in fact I know we're getting lots of traffic through the website
The code was inserted incorrectly ( you did insert the code on your website?)

you did not insert it on all your pages

you don't exist

·
Illinois Window Service
125 Posts
You Rank well..

You Rank #1 with your Key Phrases, and I see you are using your Signature here to improve your SERP's.. good job, and nice website

1 - 20 of 26 Posts