Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, what would be the absolutly dirt cheap hosting option for a domain name where all you were going to do was forward it to another website?

I've got the domain name registering taken care of, I can register domain names for $89.00 for 10 years but I'm not sure about just such a basic hosting as this? Currently I can get this service where they will simply point the domain towards any IP for $72.00 a year.

·
Registered
8,573 Posts
If your domain is registered through Godaddy.com they do this for free. After I registered my website but before I actually opened up for business, I had the site hosted on geocities but had the go daddy forwarder. When I sold website hosting I sold this service for $4 a month.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
What's the forwarding for Mike? I know one thing, referral pages are a big no-no to search engines. Is this only a temporary deal? If you're wanting SE traffic, you'll have to eventually do away with the re-direct to get good positioning. At least, that's the story I hear on all the SEO forums.

·
Remodeler
824 Posts
Mike,
I've tried several of these domain services through the years. Go Daddy, 1&1 and about 6 more. I have also used Direct NIC for all these years and fall back to them for domain purchases and all the goodies that go with it. Forwarding included. In the 20 or so years I've been doing this have never had a complaint about Directnic. $15.00 per year per domain. Not as cheap as some others but I keep going back for reasons to numerous to mention. They aren't big on hosting although they do offer free hosting with the domain (with ads) or for another $15.00 per year you can use them for a minor site with no ads. I don't use them for the hosting side just for domain purchases and forwarding.
I did use 1&1 for a couple of years and they would not stop billing me for small things I didn't want. Go Daddy was ok I just didn't like the feel there. Can't explain that but I left them. The others were problems ranging from billing to lack of service.
Good luck.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
MinConst said:
Mike,
In the 20 or so years I've been doing this have never had a complaint about Good luck.
20 years!? Damn did you know Al Gore while he was working the kinks out of the Internet in is garage before he released it to the public? :cheesygri :cheesygri :cheesygri

I couldn't resist that one!

I'm taking a look at the suggestions so far, thanks.

AA - yeah, I realize what you are pointing out, so far these domains would only be driving traffic by other means and not the internet, but that is also something to think about. Which would really eliminate any really cheap hosting that was just an IP redirect and make it more worth while to get a host that allowed you to actually build a small site also. I notice a lot of these really cheap places don't have Front Page extensions so that would mean FTPing the old fashioned way! :(

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Crap Mike. Ignore my last PM message. I didn't read your post well enough.

Either set up a forwarder or mask in your domain account or let me know and I can set up some forwarders on my server for you.

Send me a note and I'll help you out. As AA said, this won't get you any search engine traffic but if you think people might actually type in the URL it can be a good catch all.
For example... if you type in ContractorTalk.net, ContractorForums.com, and a bunch of other urls they all lead back to ContractorTalk.com.

·
Banned
14,078 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Nathan said:
For example... if you type in ContractorTalk.net, ContractorForums.com, and a bunch of other urls they all lead back to ContractorTalk.com.
Yeah, that is basically what I originally had in mind. I will have to mull this around and see what I should do.

·
Pro Painter
2,314 Posts
Ahhh! Makes more sense now, I completely understand. I'm using HostGator and they allow frontpage extensions, just fyi. I think I only pay $10/mo too. They also give you a busload of tools to use for your site. What you're doing seems like a good idea if you ask me. I never thought about buying up the other domains and directing them to your site. :Thumbs:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts