Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I did a search and it looks like it's been a year since this has been talked about here on this forum. I'm currently with Fatcow and starting to see things I'm not happy with, slowness.

So about a year ago is when this was talked about and Bluehost and HostGator were the two that seemed to rise to the top of the list.

Are these two still at the stop of everyone's list?

Which one do you use and what plan are you on?

Has anyone been with either of these companies for 5+ years and if so are you still in the honeymoon stage with them?

Anyone run their website from their home office on their own PC?

Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I have been using bluehost for 5+ years and never had any issues. In that time, I believe I have hosted 3 or 4 different domains with them. They communicate very well, especially if they ever have any maintenance to do, which is rare. I have only ever called their customer service/tech support maybe once because their interface is so user friendly. The content management systems that they have available are all I have ever needed. I am currently hosting the site unclestinkysmansoap.com with them, check it out.

·
Registered
21 Posts
We have had a good deal of problems with Host Gator in the past, in fact you can search for them on Twitter and see all types of negative things. I think there is even a handle @HostGatorSucks. We use a very secure and very reliable hosting company for WordPress sites called Synthesis Web Hosting. It is more expensive then your Host Gators and Blue Hosts, but it is worth every penny. They have a great security platform built in to all the sites that live on their servers and they take care of back ups regularly. They even have a "self healing" tool that fixes the site if something were to go wrong on the back end. Worth Looking into for sure.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
unless you have a business connection coming into your home your ISP is likely blocking port 80 to prevent people from hosting servers on residential connections, thus you cannot host a web server.

The time an aggravation of trying to run it from home isn't worth it.

I have been with Godaddy for 2 years and never had a problem, I think my site went down once for about 5 minutes, but that was it.

I went with the unlimited hosting plan, but thats because I put up and take down a lot of domains, so I can do this without additional charge, and I got unlimited email accounts to.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Smaller, service-oreinted hosts.

I really like viviotech.net; they're a smaller shop but super sharp, and I've gotten to know their reps by name. Another medium-sized host I've liked is hostmysite.com.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts