Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Remodeling Contractor
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I had posted a few days ago a question about kudzu.com here locally in Georgia. Had several comments that were people talking about seo...check. Ok so had a comment from someone about our website. Have to admit at first it stung. We have had several people stick us in building, maintaining and marketing our website in the last 3-4 years. The last one didn't pay the hosting bill and our site kept going down, so I yanked the website from him and have been maintaining what he started for about 6-8 months now. Given this information, I understand that our website isn't the best looking website on the market. I understand that it's not the best seo optimized site (working on that). The comment was as follows
"I mean this in the nicest way possible, but your site isnt going to convert on any traffic increases it gets."
I want to look past the initial sting and improve my website as best as I can. As his statement also said I need to invest $2-3k in a new website. Funds are not currently available for that and I need to update and maintain the site myself for now. I do also want to mention that we do get calls off our online presence and we do convert jobs from it. I would like to get everyone's opinion as to what I could do better with the website to improve my conversion rate. I guess you could say I've been working on improving our seo for the last month, not really knowing what I'm doing and yesterday really made me look like this...:sad: Any help is greatly appreciated.
http://www.mygutters.com

·
Registered
4 Posts
I don't have too much to say other than I would get rid of the hit counter. One of the pages I was on indicated I was the 30th visitor, I think in the deck section. If I was looking to buy a deck from someone I would question your experience building a deck based off of the low traffic to that portion of the site.

·
Decorative Asphalt Guy
312 Posts
So I had posted a few days ago a question about kudzu.com here locally in Georgia. Had several comments that were people talking about seo...check. Ok so had a comment from someone about our website. Have to admit at first it stung. We have had several people stick us in building, maintaining and marketing our website in the last 3-4 years. The last one didn't pay the hosting bill and our site kept going down, so I yanked the website from him and have been maintaining what he started for about 6-8 months now. Given this information, I understand that our website isn't the best looking website on the market. I understand that it's not the best seo optimized site (working on that). The comment was as follows
"I mean this in the nicest way possible, but your site isnt going to convert on any traffic increases it gets."
I want to look past the initial sting and improve my website as best as I can. As his statement also said I need to invest $2-3k in a new website. Funds are not currently available for that and I need to update and maintain the site myself for now. I do also want to mention that we do get calls off our online presence and we do convert jobs from it. I would like to get everyone's opinion as to what I could do better with the website to improve my conversion rate. I guess you could say I've been working on improving our seo for the last month, not really knowing what I'm doing and yesterday really made me look like this...:sad: Any help is greatly appreciated.
http://www.mygutters.com
I am super satisfied with Aaron at Footbridge Media.

http://footbridgemedia.com/

149 a month. Check him out and tell him I sent ya.

Steve

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
I have a great guy that I could recommend. He is a college guy that does this that is really reasonably priced. If I were you I would just hire out the website and have it really well optimized and then I would promote it yourself. This way you don't have an ongoing monthly bill for this. Once it is all set up you can promote yourself by spending a hour or 2 a week on it. Send me a message if interested.

·
Registered
10 Posts
If you really want to make your website a success, you need to let someone who really knows what they're doing handle it. That's going to really produce the largest turnaround. That, or spend the time learning HTML and basic coding so you can fix your website. It needs to look cleaner, have obvious contact forms, calls to action, and more.

·
Registered
33 Posts
If you want to invest a little time and not a of money, ditch that website and start a new one with Wordpress or Joomla and decent theme. SEO will be much easier, as will maintenance.

You could even just hire some to set up a new wordpress site for you for very cheap and then just maintain it yourself.

·
Registered
8 Posts
You can find a lot of good website developers on craigslist. There are really good prices to if you call and negotiate with them.

·
Banned
4,895 Posts
TomREO said:
You can find a lot of good website developers on craigslist. There are really good prices to if you call and negotiate with them.
Or you could get a real marketer to do it right here on the forum. Many web people here contribute to the discussion in a meaningful way.

Or you could go on CL and have some meathead living in the parents basement do it I suppose. If a web developer needs CL I would strongly caution his/her ability to understand "marketing".

1 - 8 of 8 Posts