Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, been working really hard to get my website complete, and I am almost there (I think).

I have been using Wordpress as my CMS and have published all the content myself.

Currently I am getting about 50 visitors a day, which I figure isn't bad as the bulk of the content has been uploaded in the last week.

The website address is http://secsecur.ca

If anyone is able to take a quick look and provide any feedback, good or bad it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
24,650 Posts
IMO, looks pretty good.

The top of your site it would be nice to tone down the stark white background.

Also get your phone number up there.

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
Your site is laid out well, when it is finished it will have a decent amount of pages. Your missing a service area with a geo map, some people put it in their footer. Your page titles are not set up for a location based business, your pages need to be interlinked better. Im not sure if breadcrumbs should be used, probably doesnt hurt one way or the other.

Your placement of elements feels jossled on the home page. Dump the twitter feed, it will pull people away from your site (imo) and doesnt add anything to your brand.

You could use a pro's content with their seo know how for the site. You are failing with properly formatted content, funneling for conversions, proper H1's, 2, ect, I didnt check the alt tags or photo file names, but they should be done correctly .

Did you name your home page "sector security solutions" >? Because it is showing up above your banner, if you did change it to nothing and it will disapear.

There are very few contractor sites that I have seen without a side bar done well. Off the top of my head is Bryer Constr. I would consider changing the home page template to adding a side bar, put a review widget on it and a conversion form.

Your phone number is in an image and thus google will never read it, put your company info in your footer on every page. Even a conversion form in the footer is classy with social media in there somewhere too.

Two of my sites have been using Swiftype search. There is a way search on a wordpress site works that sucks and swiftype works around it, or something like that. It might prove better then the standalone wordpress search option.

You would get some milage on a related post widget for your blog.

I see your using Jetpack also, what is the benefit for using it on your site?

Yoasts SEO plugin is superior to AIO's but its a matter of preference I suppose.

·
Registered
4,048 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hi JBM,

Thanks for all the helpful info.

I know the home page is probably my biggest weakness, I have been working on finding some different content to add to it and plan to dump 90% of it once I have the content to change it with.

I like the idea of adding the contact info to the footer, never thought of that, but I have to ask what is a conversion form? I know its sad, I have an advanced degree in computer security but have never heard of it.

Jetpack just happened to be installed when I used the quick install feature of my hosting provider, I have heard good things about Yoast, and plan to check them out.

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
Great start on your website Eric. :thumbup:
JBM covered a lot of good points. Definitely get a contact form on every page if you can. I also might add to get your Google Authorship set up and I think if you made those four photos on your home page clickable and directed to a dedicated page for each one, like to the CCTV page ect... :thumbsup:

·
Registered
8,137 Posts
No no I didnt make it. Footbridgemedia did.

I like to dabble with this nonsense but I would never put myself in the drivers seat for my #1 lead generating vehicle. Why would anyone? Over a couple grand, even 5k for a one time payment for a moderately large company would be made a hundred times over in 2 or so years.

I wouldnt mind learning some html, or some CSS but jesus, I cant stand that mumbo jumbo.

·
Super Moderator
11,328 Posts
No no I didnt make it. Footbridgemedia did.

I like to dabble with this nonsense but I would never put myself in the drivers seat for my #1 lead generating vehicle. Why would anyone?
I built mine. It's almost like a real life video game to me that pays dividends in real money. :thumbup:

·
Registered
529 Posts
I know the home page is probably my biggest weakness
I wouldn't worry about your homepage just yet.

Your content is way too light. You need to beef it up substantially or don't include topics at all.

Who, What, When, Where, Why are basic information gathering questions you should be looking to answer within your content for every service you offer. You are likely knowledgeable about what you do so trying to put together 500-1000 words shouldn't be too difficult.

Your Current Menu

Home | Services | Contact Us | Blog | Promos

Should probably be something like...

Home | Alarm Systems | GPS Vehicle Tracking | Low Voltage Wiring | Security Integrations | Blog | Promos | Contact Us.

Break your services down early and organize them so you are setup for your site to grow easily and with a logical navigation structure from the start. Try not to bury items in your navigation or under a catch-all "services" tab if you can help it.

I would start considering other themes. Something with a sidebar as already mentioned.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I checked it out and it is a very nice program but it's not Wordpress. I'm going to look into it more and may build some sites with it. Thank you for sharing.

·
Registered
785 Posts
I just checked it out from my phone. The form is above all the content in the responsive design. You might want to change that around. But looks good otherwise.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts