Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my cousin design me a web site for a school project for my general contracting business in Connecticut. I've already noticed an increase in business and figured I'd just plug this here for all of you. If you don't have a web site up yet, do it. Best place to go it the IT department of a local community college and ask if there is a place where students advertise for private jobs. This was it's a lot cheaper then getting one done professionally and I think it looks pretty darn good. Mine is not done yet but they put together a great home page for me and a "contact us" section that is already functional. It's been up for about a week at the moment and I've gotten 5 emails from it, and they haven't even marketed it yet. (that's part of their school project) I dunno if this info will help anyone. Maybe I was behind the times with my lack of web page, but if it does then I'm happy I shared. It wont let me post url's just yet so I'm leaving the url as text below.

brucknerhomeimprovements.com

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll post the link for you:

But I won't comment because I was thinking of how I might tout saving money on home improvements by hiring a student. Somehow, that just doesn't seem appropriate.
Thanks for posting the link. It's a mutual good thing in the case of the student (who in this case happens to be my little cousin). He's a college student taking a project management course, and he needed a project. He approached me in the offer to design a page for my business which I'm very grateful for. I was holding on doing it because times are a little tough and it's very expensive to have one done professionally.

I'm curious as to why you think it's not appropriate to hire a student to do a site? Just curious.

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
I've got nothing against students. I have two daughters in college, one of them is working for me (also learning web design as part of her 3D graphics and game design eduacation). Usually though, class projects revolve around a personal web site or a ficticious business. The instructors also make a big difference. Some are career instructors with no real world experience (especially "daytime" instructors), while others are much more qualified to teach skills beyond the mechanics (usually "night class" instructors that actually work in the field during the day).

My comment about "appropriate" was just that this is a professional forum. It's not that students can't sometimes do a good job on a web site, but it usually lacks the necessary elements that an experienced professional can provide. Even if it works exceptionally well in your case, to advocate this approach to other professionals is potentially dangerous advice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've got nothing against students. I have two daughters in college, one of them is working for me (also learning web design as part of her 3D graphics and game design eduacation). Usually though, class projects revolve around a personal web site or a ficticious business. The instructors also make a big difference. Some are career instructors with no real world experience (especially "daytime" instructors), while others are much more qualified to teach skills beyond the mechanics (usually "night class" instructors that actually work in the field during the day).

My comment about "appropriate" was just that this is a professional forum. It's not that students can't sometimes do a good job on a web site, but it usually lacks the necessary elements that an experienced professional can provide. Even if it works exceptionally well in your case, to advocate this approach to other professionals is potentially dangerous advice.
I'll take that under advisement.

From what I understand this Project Management class they are involved in is doing 3 or 4 real world projects. Something with a charity foundation, and 2 other web sites other then mine. Guess I just lucked out. lol :thumbup:

·
Non-conformist
1,581 Posts
If your not up for the college route elance.com or rentacoder.com are good options. You can still get great prices and who knows it may still be a college or high school student:eek:
LOL, you're probably right. I thought maybe a little service provider perspective on that could be useful if you're considering this approach.

Like many others, I tried these kinds of sites in the very early days of my business. What I quickly discovered was that putting a job out for bid with these services is like throwing a piece of meat into a cage of hungry wolves. It didn't take long for me to abandon this method of trying to find work.

So while there may be qualified people bidding on projects, the "feeding frenzy" that this model creates is not at all attractive nor practical for professional service providers. It's a LOT of time invested with very little return and usually just price driven. It's more likely to be a snake pit than a real value, but I do know there are exceptions because I've read of people having good experiences.

The main point is if you are looking for services, I can tell you from experience (both mine and others that do what I do), the people with the most to offer you won't be found on those bid for work sites. There's no reason they need to be.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just found this post while researching changes for my own website.

One small critique of the site, which is a pet peeve of mine, and maybe of little importance to others, is the interchangeable use of "I' and "We" on the home page.

As a customer, I'd be asking if you are a one man shop, have employees or sub stuff out.

It's all about consistency of message, in my opinion. no offense intended.

BTW, how is the site drawing and converting for you?

Darren

·
Registered
344 Posts
LOL, you're probably right. I thought maybe a little service provider perspective on that could be useful if you're considering this approach.

Like many others, I tried these kinds of sites in the very early days of my business. What I quickly discovered was that putting a job out for bid with these services is like throwing a piece of meat into a cage of hungry wolves. It didn't take long for me to abandon this method of trying to find work.

So while there may be qualified people bidding on projects, the "feeding frenzy" that this model creates is not at all attractive nor practical for professional service providers. It's a LOT of time invested with very little return and usually just price driven. It's more likely to be a snake pit than a real value, but I do know there are exceptions because I've read of people having good experiences.

The main point is if you are looking for services, I can tell you from experience (both mine and others that do what I do), the people with the most to offer you won't be found on those bid for work sites. There's no reason they need to be.
Your response is perfect for any thread about Service Magic or the like.

·
I own stock in FotoMat!
12,472 Posts
Why is a home improvement contractor displaying a corporate headquarters front office on it's website?

Or do the homes you work on always have two elevators and a 45' receptionist desk?

·
Registered
30 Posts
Why is a home improvement contractor displaying a corporate headquarters front office on it's website?

Or do the homes you work on always have two elevators and a 45' receptionist desk?
I was just about to say the same thing. And what is the "bank vault" looking thing on the right? Or is that a giant beer keg? Or maybe im a total ididot and when you tell me I'll feel stupid for not realizing.

All in all, for free, you're ahead of the game. But I would try to get the header changed using something more appropriate.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts