Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK so lets hear it. Take a look at my web site and let me know what I need to improve for the new year. Contemplating hiring a company to redo the site if need be. I built this site well over a year ago and I tinker with it every so often. I would like it to rank higher in a Google search, don't we all want this for our sites.

http://www.gastekservices.com

·
Registered
529 Posts
OK so lets hear it. Take a look at my web site and let me know what I need to improve for the new year.
Great Job!

- Get a proper header graphic. (remove what you have) this will bring everything "up" the page more if you incorporate your phone etc.. into the graphic.

- Move your "Blog News" widget DOWN and the form UP.

- Add service areas into your page meta titles.

- Make it easier for your customers to review you on your social profiles.

- Where is Google+/Facebook/YouTube?

- Tidy up the contact form...

You've got the bones for a good site for what you do, I think some polish would make you a happy camper with the results, especially if it brought you business over the last year.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I would have it themed, but aside from that your page titles should take advantage of a location in them, where do you want to do pool repairs? Put that in the title.

·
Registered
797 Posts
My only crit is with all these great digital cameras that are around now, you might take a clearer picture to use as your head-line photo. Right now yours is slightly blurry. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
7,076 Posts
As a site for users, I think it's outstanding. It's clear what you do, who you are, where you work. Whether or not it's effectively designed for SEO, I don't know. I'm getting to be a broken record on the subject, but I think Google is out to kill SEO as a means to avoid paying for ads. People who want a pool heater will search for it and click on a paid ad. Your ad (no, I didn't click on it) is in the right place.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My only crit is with all these great digital cameras that are around now, you might take a clearer picture to use as your head-line photo. Right now yours is slightly blurry. :thumbsup:
That was a "borrowed" picture. I have since today, removed that picture all together. I am instead going with a header image with my company logo along with s few words and my phone number. As suggested by carlsore. At least I hope I did it right. I need to get a graphics package to clean it up a bit.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
As a site for users, I think it's outstanding. It's clear what you do, who you are, where you work. Whether or not it's effectively designed for SEO, I don't know. I'm getting to be a broken record on the subject, but I think Google is out to kill SEO as a means to avoid paying for ads. People who want a pool heater will search for it and click on a paid ad. Your ad (no, I didn't click on it) is in the right place.
Yes I am also running an Adwords ad and sometimes pay dearly for it, literately. Seems to me Google wants more of this to line their pockets.

·
Registered
819 Posts
I like it as is...sure It could use a small change here or there, but you give a ton of into in a small space....

its better than most

·
General Contractor
300 Posts
I would make your phone number wherever it is "clickable" so that mobile users can contact you more easily. I hate it when I am driving and trying to call a number from a website and I have to cut and paste it or remember it then dial it. I would also try to make the Font on the top right sharper, it looks fuzzy. Those links in the footer look like link spam. Otherwise i think your site is great.
Code:
<a href="tel:+1-813-335-7491">813-335-7491</a>

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I just re-worked the header today. Previous one was pretty bland. I can't figure out why it looks great as I create it and then when I uploaded it to my site, Wordpress, it looks blurry. I used Gimp to create it and tried it as a jpg and a png file type and still it looks blurry. So I'm still searching out how to resolve this.

I would have to see if there is a way to make just the phone number clickable seeing as all of the header is one big image.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
There are sliders out now a days that are more then just picture sliders. They can tell a story, send a message, or promote your service. I use this one on one of my sites, http://themes.themepunch.com/?theme=revolution_wp , there are limitless uses, I think it would be a nice touch on your site with a message, whatever it is, .....Is your pool water FREEZING .....we can install ....or fix

Check it out they add tons of class if done right imo.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
- Tidy up the contact form...

You've got the bones for a good site for what you do, I think some polish would make you a happy camper with the results, especially if it brought you business over the last year.
What do you mean by "tidy up the contact form? Is there a better one I should use?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,920 Posts
Is there a way to make the credit card logos not so big? For a minute there, I thought you were pimping Visa and M.C..

Another thing, maybe, include the price of a service call on page one. P.1 was a bit wordy about you. Granted, self discription is necessary, but somehow, I would try to figure a way to word it to show how Gastek would behoove the prospect. I think you could get your message across a little better without as many words.

Don't get me wrong, it's easy to be a critic, especially when you factor that we aren't doing any of the work. Good luck.

·
Registered
529 Posts
What do you mean by "tidy up the contact form? Is there a better one I should use?
I mean it needs to look better and be streamlined a little bit... Gravity Forms is probably one of the better form plugins for WP, I don't even mess with anything else.

Every field you have on your contact form creates resistance to your visitor.

Name
Email
Phone
Subject <---- Remove (you should be able to auto-set this)
Your Message <-- Change this...
Spambot <---- Remove
Send Button <--- Change this...

You are asking your visitor to do extra work and you don't need either of those pieces of information, especially if you're using a good forms plugin.

My form would look like this

Let's Fix Your Pool Heater <--- Call to action above the form.

Name
Email
Phone
How We Can Help You? <--- Much better than just "Your Message".
Send Your Request Now! <--- Another call to action (even better to use a graphic)

By going that route you've essentially removed more than 30% (2 fields) of the friction in your optin process. Ideally you probably want people to phone you but these changes will make a measurable difference in your email requests if you are tracking it.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I mean it needs to look better and be streamlined a little bit... Gravity Forms is probably one of the better form plugins for WP, I don't even mess with anything else.

Every field you have on your contact form creates resistance to your visitor.

Name
Email
Phone
Subject <---- Remove (you should be able to auto-set this)
Your Message <-- Change this...
Spambot <---- Remove
Send Button <--- Change this...

You are asking your visitor to do extra work and you don't need either of those pieces of information, especially if you're using a good forms plugin.

My form would look like this

Let's Fix Your Pool Heater <--- Call to action above the form.

Name
Email
Phone
How We Can Help You? <--- Much better than just "Your Message".
Send Your Request Now! <--- Another call to action (even better to use a graphic)

By going that route you've essentially removed more than 30% (2 fields) of the friction in your optin process. Ideally you probably want people to phone you but these changes will make a measurable difference in your email requests if you are tracking it.
Thanks carlsore! I will work on this change.

·
Licensed Gas contractor
708 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Is there a way to make the credit card logos not so big? For a minute there, I thought you were pimping Visa and M.C..

Another thing, maybe, include the price of a service call on page one. P.1 was a bit wordy about you. Granted, self discription is necessary, but somehow, I would try to figure a way to word it to show how Gastek would behoove the prospect. I think you could get your message across a little better without as many words.

Don't get me wrong, it's easy to be a critic, especially when you factor that we aren't doing any of the work. Good luck.
I thought about the adding the price of a service call to the page but I don't want to eliminate people because they might think I'm too expensive. Hopefully they will call me and in talking to them they will see the value I have to fixing their problem and price won't be an issue.

I'll see if I can de-word my description a bit. It could turn some people off with too many words that they would stop reading.

I made the credit card logo smaller. Too small and it would be hard to recognize.

Thanks for the input.

·
Registered
8,139 Posts
I had that plugin and eventually disabled it. Doing it on the server level is the best I have been able to come up with, but you need a webguy to do it.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts