Contractor Talk - Professional Construction and Remodeling Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What do you do when your web floor trusses that are supposed to be 174" but range 3/8" +/- They just showed up and Ill be setting them Saturday but I decided today to measure them and see if they were accurate and well some of them were.

My experience in floors is with I joists and 2 by's. Ive only done 1 house with the web truss floor joists. So far Im not a fan. Im young and not claiming to be the worlds greatest or experienced carpenter just looking for some advice from someone who has experienced this

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If they are 3/8 to long cut them. If they are 3/8 to short nail a block on the side to pad it out. Did you check the ends for square?
they can not be cut

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Trusses are very seldom right on, you just have to learn how to fudge a little here a little there to make it come out right

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk
That was what I thought. I was sorta hoping there was some magical fix

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
3/8" off the end of a floor truss? I'm calling B.S. You might want to call your salesperson.

But you do what you have to do...
The engineered web floor trusses cannot be cut. It is written in the packet that comes with them from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
And while you have your salesperson on the phone, tell him that you want them to pick up the trusses, re-engineer them to the correct length and send them back. :laughing:

Those papers that say to not cut or modify the truss is not talking about cutting 3/8" off the end. But seriously, check with the engineers to make sure it's ok.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And while you have your salesperson on the phone, tell him that you want them to pick up the trusses, re-engineer them to the correct length and send them back. :laughing:

Those papers that say to not cut or modify the truss is not talking about cutting 3/8" off the end. But seriously, check with the engineers to make sure it's ok.
Haha I should send them back! Maybe Im being a little anal about cutting 3/8". What Im really worried about is the inspector noticing and being a pain. Mabye If I cut em and then dirty up the cut so it doesn't look like fresh wood I might fool him haha

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #12

·
Registered
294 Posts
Match your overhangs and shortfalls on each end. Ie center the truss.

String your notched rim board. Pound it out till it is straight. Add side blocks if necessary.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,504 Posts
I am not gonna check with an engineer for a couple of long floor trusses. If it is just one or two, you could dado out a little bit of the rim joist.
Me either. I'd cut 'em. :laughing:

Edit: The point in checking with the engineer would be to learn if it's ok to cut 3/8" off. Might help in the future, and ease the youngcarpenter's mind.

·
Super Moderator
10,454 Posts
Me either. I'd cut 'em. :laughing:

Edit: The point in checking with the engineer would be to learn if it's ok to cut 3/8" off. Might help in the future, and ease the youngcarpenter's mind.
Yep. I have trimmed a few in my day also. Probably a lot more than a few.:thumbsup:

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Match your overhangs and shortfalls on each end. Ie center the truss.

String your notched rim board. Pound it out till it is straight. Add side blocks if necessary.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
I like that! I think ill give that a go

1 - 20 of 47 Posts