• Other

Votes: 3 8.8%
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
8,606 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What browser do you use for websurfing?

By the way, this site is best viewed with Internet Explorer at 1024X768 resoluion.

·
Registered
2,456 Posts
I use IE and Firefox. IE has better privacy control. Haven't used opera in several years, so I can't tell about it.

By the way, here's a little know tip:

I'm just tired of instructions being posted for Prompt commands.

Adaware and Spybot usually come up clean if IE6 controls are set correctly. I usually find 1 or no items every week.
How can a "cookie manager" beat IE6's controls? If you use iespyad, spysites, and SpywareBlaster, they load almost 7K of restricted cookies into the block list.
I have 1st. and 3rd. party cookies blocked 24/7, always allow session cookies checked,( session cookie has to be checked to work with edit features), and under edit button,( "sites" with SP2) I only have 7 ( I think) sites on the allow list which will act like a firewall "pass list". If I don't delete cookies for a year, and look in cookie folder, I never find more than the 7, and that's only if I visit all 7 sites during the year.
Set Tools, Internet Options, Privacy, Advanced, Block 1st. and 3rd. Party cookies; Check "Always allow session cookies", hit OK. THEN Click EDIT,or SITES in SP2, Type in or paste paypal.com for instance, Click allow. Check OK as you close each menu. After a year of surfing, that's the only cookie to be found in that folder.
YOU WILL KNOW WHEN A SITE YOU NEED WON'T WORK AND CAN ADD THAT SITE AT THAT TIME IF IT'S NECESSARY.
One Caveat; Excite sets a tracking cookie, and after every update of SpyWareBlaster, I have to locate it at bottom of list, pick "select All" and uncheck excite, pick Remove Protection.
A sidebar: Get Camtech2000's free version of Spysites. It not only loads restricted sites into internet zone and block list of IE cookie stopper, but it tells you what each site puts on your computer. Read their " worst offender" list. Some "cookies" have java script viruses. Get updates through it's help menu. :Thumbs:

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I'm still messing around with firefox, may go back to IE if I don't get some things figured out pretty soon. I'm not realizing many of the things that were touted about it.

·
Registered
163 Posts
I manly use Firefox but sometimes I'll use Konqeuer(sp?) or even Epiphany.

Never IE. Unless I'm doing a Windows update for my chick. She still uses Windoze, so I have to keep it clean and secure for her.

Don

·
Registered
3 Posts
FireFox and IE

Both are excellent browsers. I understand people are skeptical about IE, but when you are as large a target as MS, you are bound to have a few people causing issues.

FireFox is still working out some small kinks but for JUST a browser it works very well.

·
Registered
386 Posts
Browser

Just recently I found and installed Advanced Browser.
It seems to have some really good features and appears fast,
but I am No Expert. Decide for yourself.
www.advancedbrowser.com
:rolleyes:

·
Registered
83 Posts
Claiming that Microsoft Windows system is the best in the world because more people use it is like saying McDonalds makes the best food in the world.

·
Registered
4 Posts
websurfing

First things first. IE with a good firewall and you can surf till the end of times.

keep surfing.

Texas Vive.

·
Electrical Contractor
2,411 Posts
I have surfed to the end of time and back with Firefox with nary a problem. Can't say the same for IE. And I run two firewalls.

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
I failed to see any advantage to Firefox, I'm back to IE.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Firefox

The advantage to using Firefox over IE is you're about 99% more likely to survive a virus or other atack. Not to mention the other features, like popup blocking, better privacy, more function, tabbed browsing, a much more stable program, and really just a superior browser.

·
Registered
163 Posts
And it's not integrated into the entire Os, giving every program access to the net. Oh yeah, and active-x.

Don

·
Registered
163 Posts
It's ok though, Bill has your concerns in mind. Soon will be IE7 that will solve all of those security issues with Ver6. But you can only get it if you have XP service pack2. Everyone else can eat it as far as Bill is concerned.

I can't wait to see how long that stays up before the holes are found. :Thumbs:

Don

·
Registered
10,471 Posts
My computer guru deleted service pack 2, called it garbage. He installed his own program and it's great. Everything is running smooooooth.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts